Friday, October 31, 2014

#CaptureYourGrief - Day 31 - Sunset


Day 31 - Sunset

I really like that this project started with a sunrise, and ends on a sunset.  I really love watching both as much as possible every day.  I find it interesting that when this project began, I'd be getting to the train station as the sun was rising.  Now it is rising as I get into the office, a good hour later.  We will however be "falling back" this weekend, which will give me another month to admire the sunrises.

This has been a good experience, and interesting journey, both for my mind and soul.  It's been interesting to read the different takes people have on these subjects - how it makes them feel, what it makes them think about.  Today, around the world, people are sharing the sunset they saw today, or on another special day and I feel connected to this community of parents who have loved and lost like me.  I feel so much empathy for their losses, story after story.  As this project has helped me, I hope that it has helped others as well.  Not only the people who participated in the project, but the ones that read along as their friends, family members, or pure strangers posted their pictures, and captions.

This project has inspired me to try to find another healing project to focus on.  One that can be shared with other grieving individuals.  I did the 30 days of gratitude project, and that was really special for me.  I just did the #CaptureYourGrief project, which was another helpful healing journey.  I will brainstorm, and find something.

As the sun set today, as we awaited children to come trick-or-treating, I am thankful that we decided to hand out candy.  It was a last minute decision as I didn't really think I'd feel like celebrating, or seeing all the kids, when mine should also be dressed up.  I really could have been deterred earlier today when I saw a little boy dressed like a lion, Preston's costume which remains hanging in his closet.  We gave out candy today for under-privileged kids as we do every year for the Hope Center in Denver.  It made me feel good to hear the children laughing, and having a good time.  Especially these kids that struggle in some aspect of their life, for no fault of their own.  And it made me thankful that yesterday, my hubby asked me to go buy candy on my way home from work.  It hasn't been the busiest Halloween since we've moved in, but I'd say a good 50 kids must have come by so far.  

Halloween is a day for children.  Originally though, it was a day dedicated to remembering those who have passed.  The day to ward off death, mock it.  Be whimsy.  Be playful and witty.  Death can be so devastating, and it is nice to see that while this day is so highly commercialized like most holidays nowadays, the essence of this day is still there.  Don't let death take over your life.  Laugh at it.  Have fun at it expense.  I'm not saying that death is a laughing matter, but today has made me realize that there's no use in letting death win.  Life doesn't stop, even if you want it to.  Live your life to the best of your ability.  Make the most of it.  Smile, make others smile.  And sometimes, it can be as easy as giving a piece of candy to a little girl or boy.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is so great what you did for the Hope Center and that you had the courage to open your door this year and see all the little kids. I had some issues with it this year, and my husband opened the door for the most part while I pretended like nothing was happening. You are such a strong mom. I know Preston is so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something our office does every year. It's not something I have much choice on, though I suppose I could have gone for a walk or something. But, it's great that our office does that. I know this is a tough week for you, so don't be too hard on yourself.

      Delete