Thursday, October 23, 2014

#CaptureYourGrief - Day 18: Gratitude


Gratitude.  If you've read my blog, you know that I am grateful for many things.  I did 30 days of gratitude just about a month ago, and it was an incredibly healing experience.  It was eye opening.  Soothing.  And it just made me feel good.

This will be redundant if you follow my blog, but just to summarize, I am grateful for:

The people in my life

  • Preston, and the 16 weeks he gave us, and what he's taught me since growing angel wings.
  • Brett, my incredibly supportive husband, who will always be with my through thick and thin.
  • Our family, immediate and extending, for the support they show us, for being there when we need them.
  • Our friends, for their support, friendship, and not shunning us, even when we are sad.  For letting us share freely, our thoughts and feelings.
  • The ladies and gents I have met (in person and virtually) through my journey of grief and healing.  No one understands like you do.  Your experiences, have helped me feel less alone.  Your feedback has helped me grow.  Your openness about your loss(es) has helped me understand my own grief.
Resources
  • Food.  I love delicious food.  I have loved growing Preston's Garden.
  • Speaking of which - Preston's Garden.
  • Pizza.  A connection to my son.  A way to honor him, thinking of him.  Delicious to boot.
  • Colors.  They are all around us in nature (well in not so nature too).  It was one of Preston's favorite things, and I am thankful to be able to soak in those colors every day. They make me smile.
  • My home.  It's where I feel the most connected to Preston.
  • Bunnies, rainbows, bears.  Seeing them, I believe is a sign from my sweet P.
  • Pets.  They love us unconditionally.  They like to cuddle and play and can just be so darn cute!
  • Raindrops.  The possibility of a rainbow.  Purity.  Peace.
  • Seasons.  They all in their own way remind me of Preston.  They all in their own way make me sad, but bring me peace.
  • Heaven.  One day, we will be reunited.

Feelings, Emotions

  • Laughter.  It's the best medicine, no?
  • Values: integrity, respect, kindness and determination.  These values help me push forward, even when the going gets tough.
  • Blogging.  It allows me to put my thoughts, experiences to "paper" and it helps me heal.  Hopefully, it helps others too.
  • Peace.  No war.  I've not lived through a war, and I'm extremely grateful for it.
  • My thoughts.  I'm thankful to be able to have them.  They allow me to grow.  Knowledge is power.
Modern Medicine
  • Remicade. It helps keep Crohn's at bay
  • Doctors because they've helped me more than they know.
  • Nurses, because they showed me what true care and compassion was.
  • Medicine, without it, I would have had 16 weeks with Preston.

Other
  • Long weekends.  Extra time to rest.  To be with my husband.  To do things I would otherwise not have time, take the time to do.
  • Vacation.  A time of reprieve from the "normal".  A break.
  • Movie night.  Special time for just me and Brett.
  • Being organized.  Order brings peace.
  • Pictures.  They capture our memories, and help jog them as they fade.
  • Feathered pillows.  They are comfortable.
  • Tokens.  Mementos to honor memories.  I'm thankful to have so many.
  • Music.  Soothes the soul.  Puts your emotions to words.
  • Serendipity.  The flukes and coincidences that exist all around us.  I love noticing something out of the blue and realizing just how beautiful the work is.

I'm grateful for all this, and so much more.  I like Carly Marie's suggestion.  "Think about making this a new ritual for you to practice each morning".  This being, thinking about something you are grateful for and why.  What are you grateful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment