Sunday, October 26, 2014

#CaptureYourGrief - Day 22: Self-Care


I'm not one to get my nails done much (or even paint them for that matter).  I'm not a spa-girl.  I get my hair done 3-4 times a year, and I'm overdue at the moment.  It's not that I don't enjoy these things, it's just not something I enjoy spending money on too often.

So, what have I done for myself lately?  My husband and I went on vacation.  We flew to New York City, drove to Cooperstown, then Montreal and then back to New York City.  Cooperstown was stunning.  It's one of the most beautiful little villages I have ever seen.  At the edge of a lake and leafy forest.  Buildings of brick, emanating of tradition.  It was old-fashioned, yet classic.  Visiting the Baseball Hall of Fame was fun for both Brett and I.  The museum showed the evolution of the sport, from equipment to scandals to game-play.  Players were forever immortalized with displays honoring their achievements.  It was wonderful to see how many players themselves had donated to the museum.  The Hall itself was majestic.  The lighting felt natural.  The plaques commemorating these baseball greats were so well sculpted.  The stories they each told were each more impressing than the next.  It was nice to spend the afternoon with my husband there.  Not thinking too much about our reality, our life that was turned upside down almost 8 months ago.   We then visited my family in Montreal.  We spent some time with my parents, and my brothers, and niece and nephews.  We had breakfast with my cousin, and the next day, breakfast with my immediate family and aunts and uncles.  And then back to NY.  We visited with our friend Jimmy and his girlfriend Karen.  We had a nice dinner at this little Greek place.  We also walked the streets of Manhattan, walked halfway across the Brooklyn bridge and took a stroll in Central Park.  We did try to go see the Friends "museum" but there was always a 3-4 hour wait, even at 8:00am.  Oh well!

We have another upcoming trip.  It will be work related for my husband, but it'll be a true vacation for me.  I will take the opportunity to go to the spa, and the pool.  I'm really looking forward to it, though I'm also a little anxious.  It's a week before Preston's birthday.  My hope is that this vacation, gives me a little rest before I need to get through his birthday, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Finally, a week ago I sent out the Spread Happiness For Preston information and mailed cards throughout the week.  That was something that was really important to me.  This will find a way for Preston to be honored.  He'll be remembered.  He'll make a difference, and really what more can a mother ask for than for her child to make a difference in the world.  In world that can be so ugly, with the killing of an unsuspecting soldier guarding a memorial, the repeated school shootings, and the other atrocious things that you hear about on the news.  With a little help from everyone, hopefully we can create more happiness, more joy.  Smiles and feelings of gratitude.  And just hopefully, one act at a time, make this a happier, safer place for the next generations to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment