Sunday, October 26, 2014

#CaptureYourGrief - Day 21: Relationships


Taken 8 year ago... how time flies.  With time, things are ever changing, including relationships.  They get stronger, or weaker.  They get more complicated, or more genuine.  Love continues to grow.

With Brett, getting along has always been easy.  We disagree, but I can't say we've ever had a big fight.  We definitely don't always get our way, but I think we've learned to compromise where needed so that we can both be happy, or as happy as possible.  Has grief affected our relationship?  For sure.  I think we're more in tune with each other's feelings.  More apt to know how to react when the other is at a low point.  We know that we can survive traumatic events, which poor Brett has had to deal with more than me.  Maybe I had to deal with surgeries, but I had narcotics to keep me loopy.  Brett was 100% conscious of everything, of all the dangers, of how serious everything was.  He's my rock, and I wouldn't be where I am now without him.

Grief has also affected some friendships.  Friends that I hadn't been close to in a long time, have just been so incredibly supportive.  They've shown me what compassion is.  They've reinstated my faith in mankind when it was pretty low.  They've helped lift me up when I was down, and they continue to do so.  That's special.  These are truly kindhearted people.  I'm blessed to have them in my life.

Lastly, am I able to have a relationship with Preston, now that he's gone?  Call me crazy, but I think so.  I talk to him every day.  I think about him every day.  I try to smile for him.  I try to be kind for him.  I work hard for him.  And while he can't give me that sweet smile of his back.  While he can't give me back anything that you might see, he gives me so much.  He's teaching me to live life without mapping everything out first (though I still try to sometimes).  He's showing me what empathy is, which I think in return, I am showing to others.  He's helping me cultivate a simpler life where I can appreciate something as small as a raindrop.  He's guiding me into trusting that I can have Faith in God, that Heaven truly exists, and that one day, we will all be reunited.

No comments:

Post a Comment