Monday, July 28, 2014

Mondays & Test Results

Mondays are always interesting aren't they?  They come around so quickly.  Wouldn't it be nice if weeks had 8 days?  A bonus day off?  Funday?  The weekends appear to be getting shorter as I get older. "Time is relative" is as it's best once again!  Mondays often come with a slew of slip ups, at least by one person.  I get a bad case of the Mondays every other month or so.. maybe more often but shush.  Who likes to admit to that?

My husband woke me up this morning letting me know we had an email from "Counsyl", the company that is testing my blood for genetic disorders and deficiencies.  I tried signing on and of course it didn't work.  What do you want from me at 5:00am?  As I woke up a little more, I realized I'd never created an account with them, so I did, hoping that it would somehow know to connect my results with my email address.  When posed the question, do you want the bad news or the good news first, I always answer the bad news first.  A) I want to deal with it asap, and B) I want to end on a good note.

So do you want the good news or bad news first?  You're in luck, there's no bad news.  My tests all came back negative.  What a relief!!  This is one less thing to worry about right?  While, there is still a chance that Preston had some genetic disorder we didn't know about, that was undetected during the autopsy, the odds are rather low.  Perhaps SIDS is not such a "catch-all" after all, or maybe it really is it's own "disease".  Hopefully, we figure it out one day.  I'd love for science to pinpoint what causes SIDS, or rule out more things that don't cause SIDS, or discover that SIDS really isn't undetermined - it's caused by "X".

We did everything right.  We did everything by the book.  We followed all the "preventative" measures they advise about.  While the likelihood of this happening again is low, it isn't totally impossible.  That's still really scary, but I will forever have fears about losing future children.  I will forever have thoughts at the back of my mind wondering "what if they stop breathing like their brother".  However, these test results give me hope.  They diminish some fears, and they do give me some peace of mind.  We'll see if I feel the same should I get pregnant again.

That being said, my week started off really well, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the week.  Maybe it won't have a bonus, 8th day, Funday, but good news on a Monday always makes for a good week.  I hope your Monday was a good one, foreboding a pleasant week.  And smile, Monday is now over ;)

6 comments:

  1. Good news that doesn't make SIDS any less perplexing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it Ann. I can't find a better word.

      Delete
  2. I had prayed that everything would come back negative. I'm so glad that there is no bad news. I know that it doesn't make the loss of Preston any easier, though. I remember the feeling when we got the test results back for the boys and feeling happy that everything came back normal but still bawling my eyes out because it made the loss that much harder to understand. Maybe someday, we will have more answers to what causes SIDS. I really hope that those answers come someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I hope for an answer sooner as opposed to later. I'd also like answers for you, and others who deal with stillbirth. We can send a man to the moon, but we can't figure these things out? Perplexing, that's the right word, as Ann said. I often imagine Preston with Conner & Benjamin, wiggling their toes together in the clouds...

      Delete
  3. Looks like Mom and my prayers were answered. We were so happy to read that your tests came back negative. This is one thing less to be concerned about. We send hugs and kisses!

    ReplyDelete