Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Games

 
I've always enjoyed games.  Playing computer games is probably one of my earliest memories.  We had an Apple II computer with hundreds of games.  The ones I remember the most are Qbert, Ms Pac-Man, Lode Runner, Conan, Montezuma's Revenge... I think there was one called Lock N Lock?  I had a lot of fun playing these games and learning how to use a computer.

Once our Apple II computer stopped working, my dad got a (work) laptop.  It was bulky, heavy, and thick.  I'm pretty sure that's the computer I first played Civilization on.  Awesome game if you've never played it.  It's probably one of the strategy games I've enjoyed the most.  Adventure games were also a type of game I enjoyed.  I enjoyed the linear storylines though it got frustrating when you just couldn't figure out the next part of the puzzle!  I enjoyed the King's Quest series and the Hero's Quest first installment.  There are others I'm sure I'm not thinking about.

I bought my first computer with money I made babysitting.  It was a Celeron 333mhz.  Really fast at that time.  It was great! I got to play games in my room when I wanted, and also got to use it for my school papers.  I was also really proud to have been able to make such a large purchase.  I must have been 13 or 14 when I bought it.  Time escapes me.. I suppose I could have been 12...

If you've read my blog, or know me well, you know I played World of Warcraft for a long time.  I first played a hunter.  I found it appealing since I'd played a rogue when playing Diablo (and a rogue was more of an archer in Diablo).  I also liked the fact that you could have a pet who would help you in combat.  As the game is ever changing, the hunter was modified so much that I didn't enjoy it anymore. So, I changed my main character to a priest who I named Tsunaze.  I was actually hoping to name her Tsunade, after a character from the Naruto manga.  Yes, I'm a geek, you can say it :P.  Tsunade is a ninja; a really powerful healing ninja.  But since the name was unavailable, I tweaked it and Tsunaze was born.  In World of Warcraft, the priest can be a spellcaster who uses shadow spells to harm enemy targets or can be a powerful healer who will keep the team alive during encounters with monsters.  I made Tsunaze a healer and rather enjoyed it for a long time.  I liked the thought of "healing" or helping others.  I haven't played in a while.  I played quite a bit after Preston passed as it kept my mind occupied, but I felt I needed to be more productive and haven't played in months.  Perhaps once winter comes around I'll start to play again for a little bit.

I did meet my husband playing World of Warcraft.  Our characters can be seen below.  That was what they looked like in 2007.  I'll have to get new screenshots, they look so different now.

Board games and card games are also something I enjoy.  Brett and I play poker about once a month with our friends.  I haven't won in forever, which is frustrating.  Once the tiling renovation is completed, I'm hoping to have people over for a game night.  I feel pretty embarrassed by the state of our carpet right now to have people over.  No matter how much I try to vacuum, it's now to a point where nothing can really make it look better.

I enjoyed playing games with Preston.  He rather enjoyed "this little piggy" when he was about 10-12 weeks old.  He would coo, and laugh in his own little way, since he hadn't quite mastered it yet.  In the last couple weeks he was alive, I would blow on his belly and he would giggle like crazy.  I found a new game just about a week before we said goodbye.  I would pull my tongue out at him and make funny sounds.  I never heard him laugh harder and louder.  It was the best sound in the world.  I think he was starting to get the hang of it too, as he would pull his tongue out constantly, wanting to copy his mama.


I miss your giggles, and your smiles.  I miss your constant kicks and your starting to learn what your hands were capable of.  I miss your coos, and your cries.  I miss how upset you would be when you were wet.  I miss the pure joy you brought me.  However, I cherish all these things and will do so for the rest of my life.  These memories, the games we played, even if they were few, help pull me through each day.  Games remind me to have fun, even when it can seem like an impossible task.  Games, remind me of your smile, and remind me that I should smile too, if only to honor your short sweet life.

2 comments:

  1. What a great picture of Preston! We also miss his giggles and cooing as well as his beautiful smiles, but we were so blessed to have had the joy of holding, feeding, hugging and watching him (and his Mom and Dad loving him). He was so happy with his parents, We will cherish those memories forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you had the pleasure of spending some quality time with him.

      Delete