Thursday, July 31, 2014

Competition

I like competitions.  I'd consider myself competitive.  I don't like to lose, and I'll try really hard to be the best that I can be, whether it's in a fun or serious environment.  I've encountered a whole other level of competition though.  It started with my oldest brother, Jason.  Very competitive.  Anytime we'd play a game, he would win and he would keep score and leave it in the box.  When I was younger, I would assume that I wasn't much of a challenge to beat, given our 7 year difference.  It bothered me that I always lost, but I never stopped trying.  I think that's important, because I probably wouldn't be as resilient today if it wasn't for constantly losing to my brother - Monopoly, Risk, Mille-Borne and various card games. Good times :)

My husband is just as competitive as my brother.  The latest competition was one with me, his mom and his dad.  It was a "fitbit" competition.  A "fitbit" is a electronic device that calculates how many steps you take in a day (along with other fun things like calories burned).  For this competition, the winner was the one who got the most steps in one month (July).  I managed over 335,000 steps in July, an average of almost 11k a day.  Awesome right??  Brett finished with over 925,000, an average of almost 30k a day!  There was no way for me to keep up.  I work a desk job, while he and his dad work from home, and his mom is retired.  On top of my desk job, I am commuting 2.5-3 hours a day (roundtrip).  Brett's dad finished 40,000 steps behind him.  A couple days ago, I could have sworn he was 60-80k ahead of Brett.  But, being the competitive fiend that he is, my husband walked a crazy amount of steps yesterday (the equivalent of about 37 miles)... and had planned to take the day off today to basically "walk all day". He did take off work today, and he did walk all day... a distance of over 40 miles!!!  And I thought he was crazy yesterday...

I'm ever so stunned by the competitiveness of others.  Like I said, I like competition... but I guess I like friendly competition.. as soon as it gets a little crazy, I'm a little disengaged.  I like to win, I don't like to lose, but I am capable of admitting defeat.  This is not to say my husband is a sore loser.   Admitting defeat though?  Not in his vocabulary, and I totally admire him for it.

Do you believe in zodiac signs?  I totally do.  It's reinforced by how competitive both my brother and husband are.  They're both Scorpios.  I'm on the verge of being a Scorpio, and I think I have a few Scorpio like qualities (like the competitive thing - but to a lesser degree).  I'd say I'm loyal and ambitious like a Scorpio and have the optimism and generosity of a Sagittarius.  I'm by no means as adventurous as the typical Sagittarius, and I'm not as competitive as a Scorpio.  Nor would I call myself lucky, which is often associated with Sagittarius'.

All this makes me wonder, would Preston have been competitive?  He was a Scorpio after all.  Had my pregnancy gone full term, he would have been a Sagittarius like me.  I wonder if that would have had any kind of impact.  In my heart though, I feel like he would have been a true Scorpio.  Like his uncle Jason, like my uncle Claude, like his daddy.  After all, isn't he the preemie who was the chattiest of them all?  Isn't he the baby boy who rolled over at 15 weeks?  If that's not a competitive spirit, I don't know what is.  He was a little fighter.  I guess though, there are just some things that you can't fight.  So sorry my love, I wish I could have been there to save you.  But, maybe there's nothing I could have done, and maybe that's why I wasn't there.

A little competition is good for all of us.  I think it brings out the ambition in us, and I think it can help you learn more about yourself.  It can push you to do things you wouldn't otherwise do, and make you realize, just how resilient you can be.  Whether the competition is with your friends, your family, or even yourself, try to challenge yourself every now and then.  Challenge your mind, challenge your body. 

Proud of my husband, even though I think he's a little crazy for walking almost 42 miles in one day!  Good job love :)




1 comment:

  1. It was so great to read little things about Preston's personality - how he was chatty and when he rolled over. Someone once told me that even thought I barely had any time with my boys, I knew them and their personalities because I was their mother (even though for the most part, I speculate on what they would be like today). I think this is the same for you - you know your little boy inside and out, and only you, as his mother, have the intuition to know his personality like that.

    And wow - that is a lot of walking on your husband's part. Good for him! But my legs ache just thinking about walking all day!

    ReplyDelete