Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Lesson of Courage from Cats

So this might sound a little out there, but my cats are giving me a lesson in courage.  Right, I know, they are cats.

I don't think I've talked about my cats, so I'll start by introducing them - Acro (seen on the left) and Calex (seen on the right).  You might think their names are unconventional and unheard of.  They are.  Acro and Calex were named after two of our friends we met playing World of Warcraft.  Acro was a druid (who could morph into a cat) and Calex was a paladin.  We've actually met "Acro" and "Calex" in real life.  Before we got our cats, we were just going to get one, and I liked the thought of naming my cat after "Acro" the druid cat. :)  But, when we went to pick our cat, his sister made an impression on us and we decided to get both of them and Calex just seemed fitting, even more so now that we know she's crazy! Just kidding, Ann ;)

So, Brett and I are pretty quiet people and I wouldn't say that our house is usually bustling with activity.  We have friends and family over on occasion, but I guess we didn't do much of it when they were still kittens.  Perhaps it was because I was often sick due to Crohn's flare ups.  Because of the lack of exposure to other people, our cats have become true "scaredy" cats.  They would hide whenever someone came over and would come out only hours after they'd left.  Hide under the couches, behind the bed.  We even found them in really odd places a few weeks ago after our weekend retreat - Acro on top of the kitchen cabinets above the fridge behind the plants and Calex in the basement under the stairs.

But, they have been coming out of their shell.  Come dinner time, if people are over, they now come to the kitchen and actually eat.  And today, I even got them to come to the family room where Brett and his parents (and dog) were.  It was awesome.  They were so courageous.  Surely if they can overcome their fears,which obviously is a tiny fear in comparison to human fears, I can overcome some of mine.  Perhaps, I can start with smaller fears and then try and conquer bigger fears.

Oddly enough, sometimes I feel like I don't have any more fears.  Death used to be one of my biggest fears.  Having a chronic illness and dealing with bouts of intense pain sometimes makes you wonder how painful death can be.  Since losing Preston, that fear has mostly gone away.  I'm not wishing for death or anything, but I am not scared of it anymore because I look forward to seeing my little boy again :)

But, I do have fears about pregnancy, and having another baby, having a healthy baby, about the first year of said baby.  Perhaps those fears will never go away, but perhaps if I face them and take small steps towards conquering them, it'll be ok :)

2 comments:

  1. I think that is all you can do - take small steps. I don't think those fears will ever go away completely, and no one could blame you for that. But, you can't let the fear overcome you. Easier said than done, I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krystal. I know you are going through tough times too and I'm sure the fears are ever to present. Keep the faith!

      Delete