Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Keeping busy


I've kept busy for the past months.  It's one of the ways I've found to deal with grief.  I know it doesn't work for everyone, but it has worked and continues to work for me.  Work itself has kept me busy.  I constantly have tasks to complete, which can be really challenging.  Challenging keeps me happy.  I've always been one to enjoy having a little more than I can handle.  I thrive on it.

At home, I've kept busy with trying to keep the house in better shape, working on the garden, cooking, keeping up with my TV shows, etc.  I hope to get back into reading by Fall.  I've always enjoyed reading a good book, and it's a good pastime for my commute on the train.  Unfortunately, my favorite genre is murder mysteries/suspense, and obviously, death is a touchy subject for me right now.  Perhaps I'll need to pick up one of Janet Evanovich's novels; they don't all revolve around death and they are really light hearted.

This week has been busier than recent weeks but not in a bad way.  I went to dinner with my friend Patty yesterday evening.  It was a good time and I was able to vocalize a lot of what I've been writing about lately.  Vocalizing my thoughts and emotions has always been difficult for me.  I think writing them down is really starting to help me.  Patty, like many, has dealt with many struggles.  One of the biggest ones probably has been losing her sister 2 years ago.  While the grief she experienced isn't exactly like mine, it's been helpful to hear and see the path she's gone down.  It has helped me find my way.  Hopefully, hearing my story, my journey, is helpful to her as well.

Today we are visited by our good friend Jimmy who currently resides in New York.  We had a delicious happy hour dinner downtown Denver and then came home, took a nice walk and the boys are now watching "Naked & Afraid".  This was brought on by the clouds of mosquitoes that kept following us.  This show isn't my cup of tea, but it's interesting to see what people are up to doing.  There's no way I would do that!  I like "Survivor", but this show's concept is a little too crazy to me.

Tomorrow, Brett's parents will be over.  Friday we are playing poker.  Saturday we are going to a social function organized by Brett's work.  Having a busy mind keeps me sane most of the time.  Sitting in my room would drive me crazy because I could see myself thinking about Preston all day, missing him and feeling helpless.  I've had the experience of sitting/laying in bed for weeks at a time and when you aren't on meds, it's really miserable.  Keeping busy gives me a purpose, it enables me to feel accomplished and sometimes makes me feel helpful.

Do you like to keep busy? What are some of the things that you enjoy being busy with? Does it help you deal with stress, loss or sadness?

2 comments:

  1. Keeping busy has always helped me too, although I enjoy my alone time. My husband and I watch Naked and Afraid and I think it is hilarious. I would never do anything like it. I just can't get over how awkward that must be! I hope you have a great weekend. I know Preston will still be on your mind, but you're right - keeping busy keeps you sane. We're just over 6 months out from our loss and I'm still at the point where if I think about what happened in the hospital, I start to freak out. But someday, maybe both you and I will be able to sit and think about our boys without being overcome with grief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on the awkwardness... on top of all the gross stuff and bugs that would be crawling on you.. Yuck!!

      Thanks for commenting about how thinking about that day at the hospital still makes you freak out. It's nice to know I'm not alone. I do hope that the time comes for both of us where thinking about our sons doesn't create such strong sad emotions. Hope you are well!

      Delete