Friday, July 11, 2014

Tree of Angels


I was really moved by the gestures of this fellow grieving mom.  She wishes to remain anonymous but authorized me to share this story.  I hope you are as moved as I am.

Somewhere out west exists a tree where angels sway together in the wind.  They are all together and all remembered.  Their memory lives on in this tree.  Name plates have been attached to the tree with ribbons of all colors and were placed lovingly onto the branches of this wishing tree.  As each was placed, a special prayer was said for each lost soul.



The idea came about when this wonderful mom wanted to give her living daughter a wishing tree where friends and family could leave her a wish or simply "words of wisdom" for her to read one day.  This idea itself is just fabulous and thoughtful for this young little girl.  As this mama was creating this tree, she had a thought: "I wanted to not only include my Angel but to tie a ribbon on this wish tree for each one of our Angels and dedicate it to them as well".

She offered this to hundreds of grieving mothers and continues to do so to this day.  Mamas are encouraged to choose the color of the ribbon.  Colors that are meaningful to them, that make them think of their baby.  So many mothers have taken her up on it.  The overwhelming number of ribbons and nameplates just shows us how many people have to deal with the loss of a baby.  I think it gives a glimpse into how many people deal with this kind of pain, yet, you really don't hear many people openly talk about their miscarriages, or stillbirths, or loss of their baby.  All in all, it seems that society is scared to understand that these families need support.

Understanding, let me elaborate.  Understanding perhaps isn't the word to use.  For anyone who hasn't lost a baby, quite honestly, I don't want you to understand what it's like because to understand, you'd have to lose and I don't wish this on anyone.  Perhaps a better way to explain it is that people don't seem to want to listen to the stories about loss.  It's something that's too sad, and people don't like sad.  They prefer to stay silent and sometimes go as far as avoiding people in their lives who've had a loss.  I'm not really saying this from experience.  I've mentioned before that my support system has been awesome, but I've read so many stories where grieving parents are just left out to dry.  Some of them are even treated cruelly with words and actions; even from loved ones.  I can only imagine how much harder this makes this already too painful experience.

This type of story warms my heart because it shows support in the purest form.  This is a totally considerate and humble gesture.  This is such a gift for grieving parents.  It not only acknowledges their baby, but it acknowledges them as parents.

It's terribly tragic to see that there are so many angels.  But at the same time, I feel so honored that Preston and his big brother/sister dubbed "baby H" are able to live on in this tree with so many other special angels.  This wonderful tribute has really touched me as does the strength of my mama friend.  To be able to do this for so many in the midst of her own loss speaks volumes as to her strength.

Those who have angels on this tree have been privy to a few videos... it is really moving how the angels sway in the wind, to the sound of children playing and to the sound of chirping birds.  They really seem to enjoy being together, their spirits living on due to the love of their parents.

Sway on little angels, live on.  You will live on in the tree of angels, and forever in the hearts of your mommies and daddies.

Thank you for all that you do.  And, thank you for supplying pictures where I can forever see my little angels among all the others lost little ones.  May they sway and play together forever. :)

 


2 comments:

  1. I remember this. It really was so amazing of her to do. She had hundreds of people request a name and she accommodated every single one. It is so sad to see so many names, but at the same time comforting to think that maybe they are all together.

    ReplyDelete