Sunday, September 21, 2014

Touched by an Angel

Day 30 of my 30 days of gratitude challenge already.  Still so many things I am thankful for.  Perhaps I will need to do another challenge at some point.  One thing is certain though - this has been a helpful healing experience.  It has shown me that I have a lot of good in my life.  It's helpful to have that reminder on rough days.

But, I still have day 30 to write about in order to complete the challenge.  On day 30, I'm thankful for Preston.  Perhaps it seems like a re-iteration of my day 1 gratitude - the 16 weeks I had with Preston, but it isn't.

Sometimes the people whom we’ve known for only a short amount of time have a bigger impact on us than those we’ve known forever.
~ Maya Angelou

I've come to know some pretty spectacular people.  Many have made a big impact on my life, whether it be my parents with everything they taught me, my brothers whom I could always rely on, or my husband who provides undying love and support.  Friends who've taught me how to be a better person, doctors who gave me a chance at quality of life, family who's been there through thick and thin.  That little boy I am so honored to call my son, left the biggest impact (no offense meant to anyone).  He showed me pure love.  He showed me the fight he had in him, that same fight I think I have in me.  He showed me true happiness.  He showed me that I was more patient than I thought.  He showed me that I could deal with the unpredictability that life brings, with his early arrival and departure.  He showed me how to share like I've never shared before, and I've always found myself to be pretty generous.  He showed me what perfection looked like.

Perfection doesn't last forever it would appear.  Losing Preston taught me grief and devastation.  But in losing him, I gained a lot of empathy.  I gained a sense of responsibility to spread the word on SIDS and miscarriages, and stillbirth and infant loss of other kinds.  The world seems to tuck away these losses yet, 1 in 4 pregnancies results in miscarriage, stillbirth or infant loss.  That is a high number, yet so many suffer in silence.  I will do my best to provide support, and outlets for those who need to share their loss, their experience, their pain, their story, their baby.  I wouldn't be doing this if it weren't for Preston.  And don't get me wrong, I would prefer having Preston than being down this road, but if I can help one person, I feel like Preston's helped me accomplish something really meaningful.

I'm wiser than I was a year ago, a few short months prior to meeting Preston for the first time.  I'm certainly not happier, which I should be.  I'm certainly not at peace with what happened, but I feel like the only reason I'm standing is because of who Preston was.  And, that he left part of his heart with me, and took a part of mine.  Forever we will be connected.  Forever I will attempt to make him proud.  Forever I will look forward to seeing him again, and in the meantime, I will do my best to find a new kind of happiness, even if it is stained with bittersweetness.  I will do my best to help others.  I will do my best to share the happiness he was meant to spread around the world.

Thank you for coming into my life little boy.  I wish you could have stayed, but know that even if I knew the outcome wouldn't change and we could do it all again, I would in a heartbeat.  To have known you, changed my life.  To have held you, loved you and cared for you, was the best gift I ever got.

4 comments:

  1. "Because someone we love is in heaven, there is a little bit of heaven in our home."

    He will always be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You did the 30 day challenge and your Mom and I also so feel blessed to have know Preston albeit for such a short time. Memories of him will be with us until we meet him after our life on this earth. We are so proud of what you are doing to help others who are or have experienced the horrific loss of a child, what ever the age. In reading your blog daily, we can see that it has helped you in healing process. We send our love and kisses to you and Brett and we pray both of you and Preston everyday.

    ReplyDelete