Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Vacation Time

On day 25 of my 30 days of gratitudes, I am thankful for vacations.  As I bittersweetly look forward to two upcoming vacations, I am reminded of how thankful I am for them.  Vacation means family time, and is there really anything better?  Vacation means relaxation, something we all could use a little more of.  Vacations mean fun, and that is definitely something I need more of.

I have fond memories of going to my grandmere's fishing cottage when I was young.  She and her husband had built it themselves.  It was 7 hours north of Montreal, so quite the trek, but we always stopped in Quebec City to pick up my grandmere.  I remember this one year, we rented a red van.  That was probably the most fun trip.  Or maybe I was just too young and my 4ish trips are just all blending in together.

The cottage was in the most remote location you can imagine.  The only way to get there was by (motor) boat.  The closest neighbor?  I couldn't even tell you, but it was probably a 2-3 minute boat ride away.  I enjoyed walking along the shore, finding nifty looking rocks of all colors.  I adored the strolls in the wood with my grandmere's, and eventually our dog, Fifine.  I fancied picking (and eating) fresh raspberries.  The place was so rustic.  Wood burning stove.  Gas appliances.  Bunk beds.  No TVs.  No telephones.  Can you even imagine?  With this being the age of the smart phone?  Probably not right??  We played a lot of board games, and had silly fun like kids do.  I remember having the bright idea of putting our clothes over our pajamas after being told we had to go put them on.  Don't let my brothers tell you otherwise, it was my idea ;)

Could we be more 80s??
 
Those vacations to our fishing cottage are definitely the most memorable ones I had as a kid.  After my grandmere passed, the cottage eventually had to be sold, because of it's lack of proximity for maintenance and what have you.  It was sad leaving the cottage for the last time.  It felt like my last link to my grandmere was going away.  But I'm now reminded that I will forever have these memories.  Memories of doing puzzles with her, and playing penny poker.  And watching her fish.  She was awesome and oh so unique!
 
As an adult, I probably have a couple vacations to pick from that were memorable in their own ways.  Going to Hawaii with Brett was amazing.  I've never seen so much beauty all in one place.  The most colorful plants you can imagine.  The best beaches where the sand doesn't burn your feet.  The most amazing snorkeling experience minus my trying to drown Brett - not on purpose of course.  I'm a good swimmer, but the first time I was in the ocean was rather unnerving.  I was blessed to spend part of my honeymoon in Hawaii and have gone back another time.
 
 
Then there was the trip to Mexico for our friends Charles and Kate's wedding.  I was blessed to see my husband officiate his best friends' wedding.  Hurray for being able to get ordained online.  Thanks for the idea Joey! A few will get this ;).  And what a beautiful scene to be married!  The wedding was beautiful, the speeches were moving, and the whole trip was just fun.  To be able to enjoy the fun with friends was invaluable.  Visiting the Mayan ruins which I'd dreamed of since being a kid thanks to "Les Mysterieuses Citees D'or" (The Mysterious Cities of Gold), was breathtaking.  I only wish it hadn't been so darn hot of a day!  It still was fun, and Brett sure enjoyed the Corona's after the visit.  Playing volleyball on the beach.. I don't think I ever had so much fun playing a sport.  Not needing to be afraid to dive for the ball.  Oh, I wish I was back there now!  And I must admit, the all inclusive package was the best idea ever.  Free booze whenever you want (ok - just need to tip).  I'm not a big drinker.  Never have been.  Never could be thanks to my friend Crohn's disease.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.  The mojitos... yum!! They were so delicious and went down so easy!  I have a glass of wine at my in-laws who live at an elevation of about 9000 feet, and I need an immediate nap.
 
 
 
But, my favorite vacation, has to be the road trip we took in 2013.  Denver to Washington D.C. to New York to Montreal to Chicago to Denver.  We had a few pit stops in between but we did the whole trip in 10 days, I memory serves.  The best part, it was a vacation we took with Preston.  He wasn't born yet, but he was with us.  He travelled well.  The nausea had just about subsided, as had the fatigue.  Minus maybe one meal that didn't sit, the whole trip was flawless.  I got to see parts of the U.S. that I had never seen.  Driving through parts of Pennsylvania, Delaware and West Virginia were the most beautiful.  Just so luscious.  The hills, the green, the fog.  Just breathtaking!  I really enjoyed Washington DC.  What a beautifully up kept city.  Beautiful flowers on the sidewalk.  Seeing the White House was pretty cool too.  We saw a baseball game while there - Cubs vs Nationals.  Very industrial feel to Nationals Park.  In New York, I guess it was a little surreal being there without the twin towers.  I had been in '99 before the tragedies of 9/11.  We visited the unfinished site of the Freedom Tower.  We tried to visit the Statue of Liberty, but Liberty Island was closed due to the damages caused by Hurricane Sandy.  We went to Brooklyn with our friend Jimmy, who resides in New York, for dinner.  I'd never been to Brooklyn, so that was really fun.  I'd have loved to have the delicious steak they had, but there's something that's just not super appealing about well done steak. 
 I believe the name of the place was Peter Luger Steakhouse.  Totally recommend it.


In Montreal, we got to see friends and family, and announce to everyone that Preston was on his way.  Of course, we didn't know at the time that Preston was Preston, but nonetheless, everyone was so excited for us, especially given our recent struggles of a miscarriage and my health issues.  We ate at my nephew's favorite restaurant, Maddison's I believe.  I think another steakhouse.  A salad was enjoyed by me, again.  Hey, I was a happy camper.  Salads had been out of my diet for over a decade!  We enjoyed a bit of time with my family before departing for Chicago.  Chicago was cool.  Chicago is Brett's hometown so it was really cool to visit it.  We saw two Cubs games, ate some good food.  Wrigley Field was absolutely fun.  I am glad to have been there before the upcoming changes that are going to happen.  Such history to the field, to the park.  You can feel that history.  And what loyal fans.  To lose for 100 years plus and continue having such loyal fans!  Says a lot about people from Chicago.

Preston may not have known it, but he would have been a Cubs fan.  He was all geared up for the 2014 season, but never was able to enjoy it... well I guess we never got to enjoy it with him.  It would have been nice to have him with us at the Rockies' game tonight.  It would have been great to see his reactions to the sounds and smells of the ballpark.  Hopefully, he was there with us in spirit. :)

Upcoming vacations to New York and Montreal with a small detour to Cooperstown in October.  Vacation (well for me - Brett will be working) in Vegas in November.  Vacations are family time.  Vacations are rejuvenating.  I will need that leading up to Preston's birthday, and the following Holiday season.  It feels wrong to have vacations without him, but everything feels wrong without him.  I'll feel guilty leaving his urn at home, and I'll probably struggle with it, but hopefully, the back to back trips, make it just a little easier.  I hope that the family time is good for our souls.  I hope that the me time I have in Vegas (here I come spa!) is just what I need to give me peace and strength to get through the rest of this dreadful year.


No comments:

Post a Comment