Monday, September 8, 2014

Picture Perfect

The sunrise this morning was beautiful.  It made me feel calm, it gave a nice start to the week.

Tonight was our support group meeting and the subject was regret, guilt and anger.  I've felt all these emotions.  Sometimes independently, sometimes all together.  I've written about guilt a lot and while sharing my thoughts about it helps, it always finds a way to creep back.  We had a small group tonight, just 6 of us and so it was easy to go on different tangents once we'd shared what we needed about the subject of the night.  I found out something rather interesting.  While, I am able to look at pictures of Preston every day, and even occasionally a video, many of the other parents can't.

Therefore on day 17 of my 30 days of gratitude challenge, I am thankful for pictures.  Not exclusively photographs of Preston, but in large part yes.  I'm a very visual person.  I don't strive as well without first seeing how to do it.  I don't have the best memory in the world, and pictures help me recall memories more easily. I wouldn't remember the things I remember about my grandmother if it wasn't for photographs.  I wouldn't remember certain summer vacations, but pictures often trigger certain memories.  While we shouldn't spend our lives taking so many pictures that we miss the experience, photographs can make such an impact on your life. 

Additionally, some pictures can be inspiring.  Pictures can be the source of hope.  Coupled with words, they can be motivating, comforting.  They can be just plain beautiful, and be a symbol of serenity.  They can stimulate your other senses.  They can make you think.

I know that with time, memories start to fade.  I already can't remember Preston's cry, but thankfully I have videos of him cooing and giggling or at least his version of it.  I'm thankful for the pictures of him when he was really small, all the way to when he was starting to be a little chubby like a baby should be.  I'm so grateful for the videos and pictures I took.  I only have so many, and I can't get any more but I can't express how grateful  I am.  And I'm even more grateful that I can look at them.  Sure, there are days where it makes me cry.  But seeing that beautiful smile, can simply brighten up my day.  Hopefully it can brighten up just about anyone's day.

I feel blessed that for whatever reason, I am able to look at those pictures.  I know Brett isn't there, and it seems like several other parents aren't either.  And it certainly not because they don't want to look at their precious little one - the memories and the visual stimulation is just too hard to take - much like how I feel about thinking about the day we lost him.  Some people can share that story.  I can't.  I can't go there, allow my mind to go there.

We all heal differently.  I write.  I read about other experiences.  I allow the pain to creep through when it needs to, but I don't allow it to consume me.  I concentrate on the happy memories.  I try to smile to honor my happy boy gone too soon.  It works for me today.  It may not work in a couple months.  I don't know what the future holds, but all I can do is take it a day at a time and do what helps me feel like I'm continuing on a mending path.  How do you heal?

2 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to this. The day before I had Conner and Ben, the nurse asked if we wanted a professional photographer to come in and take their pictures. We said no. It seemed too intrusive and I didn't want some stranger taking away what precious moments I would have with my boys. But eventually, I came around and said yes. The photographer let us hold the boys the whole time and was in and out in five minutes, but she got the best pictures we have of them and I am so grateful to her. We didn't look at the picture until about a week after the boys passed away, and it was so emotional. I imagine that it must be that way with you too sometimes. We keep what few precious tangible things we have left close to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice that this was offered to you and I'm glad that you decided to get the pictures so that you can look at them when you are in the right place and it's one more thing of them, to have and hold onto forever.

      Delete