Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Survival

Reading the title of my entry tonight, you might think that I'm going to talk about surviving the loss of my son, Preston.  And while, I am doing just that, surviving, my blog tonight is about the show "Survivor".  My husband often comments on his aversion to this show.  I, on the other hand, have been enjoying it for, well... too many years!

He's asked me several times, what's the appeal to this show?  You see he doesn't like the intensity created by the use of the music.  He doesn't like the excessive drama.  I appreciate the show for several reasons.  While the premise of the show is to win a million dollars which is very appealing, I admire the contestants for finding a way to put their life on hold and throw themselves into the unexpected.  It takes guts you know?  You'll be batting the elements.  You'll be without all the comforts of every day life.  You'll be without your loved ones.  You'll be without a steady source of food.  You'll be without a decent shelter.  You'll really have to learn how to survive out on your own, with the help of few.

I've never really considered going on the show.  Having Crohn's, I'd just be so uncomfortable without a bathroom nearby.  I don't know how my body would react to new foods, little food, no food.  I don't think I could do that to myself.  Plus, I hate bugs, and I'm sure they'd be everywhere.  So, I admire the contestants for being able to deal with the bugs, and lack of bathrooms too. 

I also enjoy the challenges that are created by the Survivor team.  The different challenges they are able to create every season, is just so fun.  Some are tough puzzles, others are endurance challenges.  Some require accuracy, while others require good planning.  There's something for everyone really.  Then, there's the different twists... hidden immunity idols, exile island, redemption island, tribe merge.  Always something to keep everyone on their toes.  This season is "Blood vs Water" where loved ones are pitted against each other.  The first challenge was pretty emotional.  It was a "reward" challenge where the winning team received flint for making fire.  Well, this one guy volunteered to compete and turns out, he had to compete against his wife.  If he lost, he let his team down.  If he lost, he put his wife at a disadvantage as she would get sent to "Exile Island" where she would spend a few days away from her tribe - not getting to mingle with everyone on those precious first days.  After he won, you could see the pain and emotion in his eyes.  It's interesting how just a few hours into this adventure into the unknown how your emotions just come out.  Good for him for being able to be so genuine.

The game also has a social aspect and it's interesting to see the different approaches that are used.  Some players are super deceitful, yet play the game so well, that in the end, their peers vote them to win the million.  Some players are super friendly, but somehow fly under the radar and also pull out the win.  And sometimes, some players play so deceptively that the players that fly under the radar of their shadow, manage to get more votes.  Some people are very likable, and charismatic.  Others you just want voted out.  There's usually at least one person you can kind of relate to, or feel is playing the way you would want to.  Someone to cheer for.

It's been interesting to see some of the recent contestants...saying that they have been fans of the show forever and have watched it since they were 5 or 6 and now they are contestants in their early 20s.  Time flies right??

Has the show taught me anything?  Perhaps it's taught me some perseverance.  Don't give up, if you really want something.  Life will throw obstacles your way.  You will have to overcome many obstacles.  Sometimes you will fail.  Sometimes you will reap in the rewards of your hard work.  You will have to make hard decisions.  Could it be that "Survivor" is a metaphor for life?  If only a million dollars a true reward for surviving life.  Whether it's the reward or not though, don't give up.  Ever.  Stumble and fall, that's okay.  But don't give up.  You never know what little angel you might make smile as long as you try. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment