Friday, September 5, 2014

Movie night

I never went to the movies much as a kid, nor did we really watch movies as a family.  We played outside a lot, or played board games.  We watched some TV shows or sports, but rarely a movie.  I'm not sure the reason behind it.  I've seen some classics at the theatre, like "Snow White & The Seven Dwarves" and "Titanic", but I'm not much of a movie goer.  It's been tough because it's not that I don't enjoy the experience, but sometimes, the intensity of the experience is just too much for me to stomach and I end up feeling ill.  Blame Crohn's disease I guess, or maybe it's just in my mind.

I still don't go to the movies much.  On top of struggling with the experience, I also struggle with the price...why pay an easy $40.00 (tickets, drinks and snacks) when we can buy the movie for less and watch it in the comfort of our own home?  Maybe I'm too frugal for my own good... if I was less, maybe I'd have more fun.  I do enjoy a good movie though, so I will try to make an effort to go... it's one of my husband's favorite things!

On day 14 of my 30 days of gratitude challenge, I am thankful for a quiet movie night at home with Brett.  That's what we did tonight.  We watched "Blended" with Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler.  It was a good movie.  I laughed.  I cried.  I guess I'm extremely sensitive to some subjects now... or maybe just more sensitive than I used to be.

In the movie, Sandler's wife has passed away and one of the kids really struggles with having lost her mom.  And at some point, she feels like she has to let her mom "go".  But she's scared, because she doesn't want to lose her mom all over again.  I can totally relate.  I've certainly already lost Preston, on Earth.  I can't ever imagine not thinking about him every day.  Not talking to him in my head.  But this little girl has to let her go, because she's still in denial, and I can easily imagine being in her shoes.  I sometimes think I'm in denial.  How else can I explain being able to go on every day?

Movies, have a way to taking you on a journey - whatever journey the characters are going through.  Of course, this usually depends on how good the acting is.  The journey can be eventful like an adventure.  That adventure can be sad, or difficult, or happy, or challenging.  That adventure can be totally outlandish or unbelievable.  The journey can be filled with a series of absurd events that can only make you laugh. 

But most of all, I think I just enjoy the quiet, alone time I get with my husband.  Life can be so busy.  Commute to work, work, commute back home, make dinner, clean up, write blog, time for bed!  How quickly the days go by.  This is a nice time to spend together and feel together and remind ourselves how well we fit together by what moves us.  Or it's nice to be able to cry and be held.  I could easily cry every day, but I feel like part of me is so numb, yet so fragile that the slightest trigger can send me over the edge.

There are still so many classic movies I haven't seen... Time to make movie night a weekly tradition?  Me thinks so :)  I know someone that would make sooo happy!  And isn't that my goal anyways?  Spread happiness to honor my son.  And what best way, than to make his dad smile? :)  That thought just warms my heart already.

2 comments:

  1. I am loving that picture of you two! You look great and the waves behind you look so calming. We usually stay in for movies too (and we get in for free in the theaters with his badge.. and we still dont go!). I'm a strong believer in making a date night every week. Once you start, you usually dont have to think about it - my husband and I do it like once or twice a week without even planning it anymore. I completely understand being in denial, too. I think that is because we will never really accept what has happened. And that's okay. We just do the best we can, mama.

    ReplyDelete