Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Pets

It's hard not to be thankful for pets when I have a cat on my lap as I try to type my entry tonight.  With her loud purrs, Calex decided to be lovey-dovey tonight.  Earlier, Acro did the same.  His purrs aren't as audible.

On day 12 of my 30 days of gratitude challenge, I am thankful for pets.  They bring us unconditional love.  They bring us companionship.  They bring us happiness, and yes sometimes frustration.  They give us something to care for, another reason to be happy to come home.

We didn't have pets when I was really young.  We got a dog when I was six, I think.  For my brother's birthday, he got a Daschund - Ben.  We unfortunately didn't have him for very long.  We didn't have a fence back then...  Poor little Ben.  I don't remember much about him aside from seeing pictures.  He had tiny little paws, and was a pretty happy dog.  After Ben, we adopted my Grandmere's dog after she passed away - Fifine.  She was a fat dog, lol.  A mutt, a mix of who knows what.  But she was sweet.  She'd shake your hand, and sit pretty.  She loved chasing balls, eating carrots, and whatever leftovers we had.  Who needs dog food, or a garbage disposal when you have a dog?  I knew this dog my whole life.  My Grandmere already had her by the time I was born.  I couldn't stand not knowing what would happen to her so I begged and begged my parents to keep her and my dad brought her home one day.  I have a lot of memories with Fifine.  A lot of them involve my Grandmere too, so they are memories I cherish deeply as I lost my grandmother when I was only 8.  Fifine, we had to put down when she was 15.  She had a full life.  A happy life.  A life full of food.  A life full of love.
 
With my brothers Ted & Jason, and the dogs Fifine & Ben
 
 
Before Fifine passed, we finally got a cat.  I was so happy.  I'd always wanted a cat.  He did all the cute things a kitten does.  Chase the string, bounce around all cute.  He'd even try to catch Fifine's fluffly tail when it wagged.  They became fast friends.  Our cat, Ti-Mine, would sleep on my bed during the day until I developed allergies.  He enjoyed going outside, and catching bugs, and other little critters.  He too was very well fed, and was rather "round".  It was nice to have a little being to care for.  It was nice to feel loved when he'd come by for petting.
 
 
And now, we have 2 tuxedo cats - Acro & Calex.  They are brother and sister - born 10/10/10.  Hard to believe they'll be four in a month!  They are easy to love.  They have their own little quirks, unique to each of them.  Calex can't meow.  The only time she meows is when she's calling for her brother because he's behind a closed door that she's not behind.  Then she's loud.  But then again, it's still not really a meow.  It's this loud pitched squeak.  She sings at night as she "sees" bugs.  Loud squeak.  I find it funny.  Acro is our meower.  He meows when he wants food.  He meows when he wants to be pet.  He meows when he plays.  He'll growl at his toys.  It's super cute.
 
This is when they were still kittens.  Acro is the one looking at the camera - white nose.


Calex is mischievous - always eating shoelaces, cords and whatever is in sight (dryer sheet anyone?).  Acro is more playful, and can be somewhat of a sneak, especially when food is involved.  Oh, you left the pantry door open? That must mean you want me to make a hole into our cat food bag!  Calex likes to "flop" on the floor so that you pet her.  Acro likes his belly rubbed, and will nudge your hand or arm for more pets.  He also gives little love bites. Calex chases invisible bugs, while Acro plays fetch, like a dog.  Calex has learned how to sit on command (and gesture).  Acro loves to be clean and constantly preens himself.  Calex just pulls hair our of herself.  She thinks that's what it means to clean herself
Calex - last summer

 
Acro, just now, saying stop typing and keep petting me!


Pets are sweet, and are always willing to give you love.  Pets always listen when you have a story to tell.  They don't judge.  Our cats might be scaredy-cats with 90% of the population, but they are loving with us, and that's what matters. :)

Preston seemed oblivious to the cats.  I think he was starting to notice them as they were starting to feel more comfortable with him in the house.  They shied away from him a lot.  I don't think that was a bad thing.  I often feared that they might jump into his crib, but they never did.  I think they were jealous because they got less pets from me.  They didn't seem to like his cries, even though they weren't loud.  I think they had a hard time adjusting and it's hard to tell if they really noticed that something happened to him.  I think they just didn't have enough interaction with him, and they were probably scared of him since his movements were so jerky as he was learning to control his limbs.  If they had enough interaction with him, I think they would have grown to love him and want to protect him.  When I was in the hospital with my bowel obstructions, the cats started sleeping on our bed to keep Brett company.  How sweet is that? They don't usually sleep on the bed and stopped when I got home, though they were extremely lovey with me for a while.  How interesting the way their minds work. 

Would Preston have loved dogs more like his dad? Or cats like his mom?  He was so easy going that I think he would have loved both equally.

Thank you for the unconditional love Acro & Calex.  Ironically, I started this entry with Calex on my lap, and I end it with Acro. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment