Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Rachel's Pursuit of Purpose Workshop - Session 1



My friend Rachel Lewis, who I've mentioned a few times in my blog, is organizing and leading a blog workshop (really fun idea Rachel!!).  It's designed to help you find your purpose, develop your purpose or to help you achieve it.  This is exactly what I feel like I needed.  So thank you Rachel!  For more details, and if you are interested in participating, please visit Rachel's blog "the lewis note".  And even more details: Pursuit of Purpose Workshop: Session 1

Session 1: "Pick 3 events of brokenness in your life that have shaped you or molded you in some fashion."

It would be comforting if finding 3 events of brokenness in my life was a difficult task.  Alas, I have so many that I don't really know which ones to choose.  When it boils down to it though:

Losing Preston is definitely the one that comes to mind first.  I wouldn't be writing my blog if I had not lost him.  I don't believe I'd be finding a purpose, trying to find a purpose or trying to achieve a purpose other than being a good mom, if I had not lost him.

My miscarriage, also comes to mind.  And while I have accepted this loss, it still created a shift in how I see things.  How I feel about things.  How I live.

My health.... my darned health issues.  Take your pick: Crohn's disease, surgeries, hospitalizations, pre-eclampsia, HELLP syndrome.  They've all taken their toll on me at some point.  They've all shaped me.  My health has taught me so much.

Depression.  While I never had it diagnosed, I strongly believe that I suffered from depression when I first moved to the States.  Everything was new.  I couldn't work and felt like I had no purpose.  Really, when it comes down to it, that's how I felt.  I had the "I'll do it tomorrow" philosophy because there was always a tomorrow.  That too carved me into a different person, and I rather hope that it continues to.

So I guess there you have it:
  1. Losing Preston
  2. Miscarriage (and suspected miscarriages)
  3. Health issues
  4. Depression
And I am listing 1 and 2 separately because I dealt with them in such different ways.  I feel differently about them.  Perhaps that's wrong, but I feel how I feel.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Ryanne! Thanks for looking me up! I saw you linked your blog on Rachel's blog. I'll be sure to check it out. /Hugs right back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you two are connecting! Yay for community!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cat, I totally understand that you would feel differently about your miscarriage and your son's death by SIDS. I feel differently about each of my losses -- my ectopic was hardest (if you can qualify that) for various reasons. And I've responded or reacted to each miscarriage differently.

    For some reason, I didn't realize that you too had HELLP/pre-e. That was on my list too. For me, very life changing. I ended up with PTSD following that experience. I also struggle with depression and anxiety. Seems we have much much much in common.

    So glad that you are participating -- and I just hope that both of us can get to this place of Purpose together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - Thank you for posting and replying about feeling differently about your losses. It makes me feel like what I'm feeling isn't as horrible as I've felt it to be sometimes. :)

      Glad we are getting to know each other better. We have a lot in common, don't we? :)

      Delete