Sunday, February 15, 2015

Positively February: Day 15



"I may not be there yet, but I am closer than I was yesterday."

Healing can be a slow process.  Healing is not linear as it is filled with waves.  Waves of emotions and events.  All the same, every day, you are closer to being healed than you were the previous day.

Every day where you get out of bed, you are one step closer.  Every little step you take, you are closer than you were yesterday.  A little step it all it takes.  Getting dressed.  Making dinner or just actually eating.  Going for a calm walk.

I know.  None of it is easy.  Especially not during the first days, first months, first special occasions.   Not to sound depressing or pessimist, it's never really easy.  It's just different and it becomes part of you.  Healing, slowly but surely becomes part of your reality.

With positive energy and thoughts, we can achieve a lot of really amazing things.  Most importantly, for me anyway as a bereaved parent, it helps me with the notion that I am doing better than I was yesterday.

Set-backs occur for sure.  Just yesterday I found myself crying as I looked at pictures of Preston.  This isn't something that usually happens.  For whatever reason, yesterday, it brought a half hour of tears.  It felt like daggers kept stabbing me in the heart.  Does that mean that yesterday, I wasn't closer than I was the day before? No.  Grief is not linear, just like healing.  I just keep reminding myself of what my friend Krystal's told me many times.  Every day, I am one day closer to being reunited with Preston.  And that's all the proof I need to know that this quote is for real.


No comments:

Post a Comment