Thursday, February 26, 2015

Positively February: Day 26 & PoP Workshop - Session 2



"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face.  You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror, I can take the next thing that comes along'.  You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Today, I felt like Rachel's Pursuit of Purpose Workshop was perfectly suited to work with my #PositivelyFebruary movement.  Today's session is about fear. Rachel poses the following questions:

"What has living by fear cost you?  What has living by fear cost others around you? What fears do you have that make sense?  And which ones are False Evidence Appearing Real?"


Going back to Eleanor Roosevelt's quote, I will preface this by saying that my fears today are fewer than they have ever been.  Losing Preston put a lot of things into perspective.  Fear is one of those things.  I am always so frustrated to feel like I've learned all these lessons because I lost my son.  It's a terrible realization that I struggle with every day.  I'd give all this knowledge back for my son.  I wish I didn't learn these lessons, or at any rate, that losing my son wasn't the price to pay.  It's not like I led a bad life before he passed away, you know?

Growing up, I was probably the most shy little girl you would have ever known.  I didn't do public speaking.  I didn't raise my hand in school even if I knew the answer.  I didn't do presentations in front of the class.  I've so often asked myself why.  Why was I this way.  The only answer I've come up with is fear.  "They've never heard me talk, if I talk now, they'll make fun of me".  "What if they make fun of my voice."  "What if I sound funny, English isn't my native tongue".  Needless to say, this fear was a vicious circle.  The more afraid I was, the less I was apt to doing what I feared.  One day, my mind said "screw it", or whatever a 10 year old says.  There was a public speaking competition of some sort and that's when I spoke in public for the first time.  In front of hundreds.  Was I scared? Terrified.  Not sure how I got through it really.  But from that point on, that fear was lessened by 100%.  My confidence grew.  This fear cost me though.  I cost me confidence at an early age, and perhaps that could have made for a totally different life.  But, I don't regret who I am, so has it really cost me in the end?

Fears can be debilitating.  They create a vicious cycle you can't escape.  Except that... you can.  While I was able to conquer my public speaking fear (for the most part - I still tend to get nervous when I have to talk to a crowd, but who doesn't right?), that fear of fitting in and being accepted is something that stayed with me for a long time.  I don't enjoy not being liked.  I try hard to be a nice person and to always be nice to everyone.  Being afraid of not fitting in.  I think it's a rite of adolescence is it not?  I think, that this is a good example of "false evidence appearing real".  We are all unique individuals and life has taught me that we all fit somewhere.  Maybe it's not where we want.  Perhaps it's not where we expect.  Fitting in, wherever that place might be, can be difficult.  Life isn't easy.  I think lately, society incorrectly teaches children that everyone wins, that you get handed a medal for just participating.  I think it's teaching some younger generations that they are entitled to whatever they want.  But life isn't easy.  It isn't fair.  Life is hard, and you have to work at it to make it a good life.  And even when you work hard, even when you do everything you are supposed to do, sometimes everything will come crashing down when you least expect it.  Maybe it would be better to teach hard work, determination and yes sometimes defeat to our children.

Life has taught me that fears aren't worth it.  Being sick as often as I've been, I feared death quite fiercely.  The pain was often so intense that I wondered if that was what dying felt like - especially in times of flare-ups when inflammation was so ever present.  Or when my gall bladder went septic, or had my first bowel obstruction.  Those were scary times for me.  Justified? Perhaps, but probably blown out of proportion too.  The thought of surgery scared me beyond belief for a long, long time.  When I went in for my bowel resection surgeries, I couldn't have had a better attitude about it.  I felt brave and knew that as scary as it was, it was the right thing to do.  I conquered that fear.  And it gave me hope for conquering more and more.

Do I have irrational fears?  I don't like snakes and wolves and would totally freeze up if one was near me.  I am scared of crickets - and run away when they are near for fear that they will jump on me. Yuck!  Do I have a reason for these fears? Not really.  Yet even if I see these on TV, I cringe.

Fears that make sense?  During my whole pregnancy with Preston, I feared a miscarriage.  Every time I went to the restroom, I was afraid of seeing blood.  It's something I fear will be with me for any future pregnancy.  Additionally now, I will be filled with anxiety for the first 14-16 months of our next baby(ies) life.  Warranted?  Yes, I think so.  Will these fears go away? Probably not, but I hopefully won't feel them every single day.  Hopefully, every day means a lessened sense of fear.

Other fears? Like Rachel, I often fear that I am not enough.  I want to help others, and often wish I could make my blog reach more people.  So many people suffer in silence.  So many feel like they don't have a place or person to talk to about their baby that they lost.  I feel a need to help others find that outlet that let's them release their pain, that allows them to speak of their baby if they feel the need to.  The dwindling number of daily reads often reinforces that fear.  What can I do to get more views and touch more people?  How can I find the right words to touch someone?

I fear March 13th.  I fear March altogether yet there's no avoiding it.  Merely days away. I shudder.  How do I overcome this?  Hopefully, I'll tell you in about a month's time.

We all have fears, rational or not.  I think it's part of human nature.  The secret though?  You can surmount your fears.  Easy to do?  Not at all.  But if you don't try, you won't know.  And if you think you can, you most likely will.  This notion was reinforced for me on the train this morning as I listened to Britney Spears belt out "Now I'm stronger than yesterday. Now it's nothing but my way" and came across this quote - "I can and I will. Watch me".  I don't fear death like I did before. The monumental loss of my son doesn't mean I invite death to take me, but rather gives me something to look forward to once my day does come.  I will see my son again.  I don't fear being judged as I did through my early adulthood.  Someone doesn't like me? Eh, their loss.  Life will throw more my way, I am sure.  I pray that it is not another pregnancy or child loss.  Actually I pray I don't have to deal with any loss for a long time.  However, whatever life is going to throw at me, whatever fear comes my way, I will try my best to vanquish it.  Actually, fear - "I can and I will. Watch me."

Do you have fears that need conquering?



2 comments:

  1. love love love the quote from Eleanor Roosevelt. I've seen it before. Mind if I steal it and add it to the bottom of my post? ;)

    As for the frustration of not reaching as many people as you want with your blog. . . . you've mentioned it once to me before.

    Here is my conclusion on blog stats: What goes up must come down. What goes down can go back up.

    Your stats will not stay the same. The most important thing to do is KEEP WRITING. People will come. I have been through enough ups and downs in the readership of my blog (anywhere from 20 a day to 250,000 a day), and so I KNOW the feeling of the ups and the downs. Even as my blog went viral for the first time, I knew that one day those numbers would stop climbing up, and would eventually fall down. One day I wouldn't have 200 comments -- I would have none. It took two years of blogging consistently to gain traction in my blog. So I just want to say -- keep at it. You will reach the people you need to reach.

    Second, I was really concerned about numbers for a long time. Finally, I realized that if I was a broken hurting person, and someone wrote something to make me feel not so alone -- then it would have been worth it to write that blog -- even if I was only one person. Instead of seeing numbers, try picturing faces in your stats. 3 reads is 3 beautiful faces that need your story, need your courage, and need you to keep going. :)

    Thank you for sharing about your fears. I've been afraid all the times I went into to surgery -- but the time that I went for my ectopic (while bleeding internally) I was most scared. I didn't know if I would come out.

    btw -- where are you from originally?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can "steal" it! Thank you for the words of encouragement. I will keep at it! 250,000 that is insane! You must have been so proud. :)

      I'm originally from Montreal, Quebec. I learned English at a young age, but I don't think I lost my accent until late elementary school years. I now reside in Colorado with my husband.

      Delete