Saturday, February 21, 2015

Positively February: Day 21


"Never fear shadows.  They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby."

I've often said, grief walk hand in hand with guilt.  It follows you like a shadow.  You wonder what you could have done differently to prevent your loss.  You ponder if you made the right decisions.  You evaluate every single action.  You torture yourself with questions you probably will never have answers to.

This shadow, I wish it would leave my side.  I wish it would exit my mind.  Yet, it does not.  Or usually not for extended periods of time.

Grief brings sadness.  Again this sadness is always chasing you like your shadow does, as you try to run away from it.  It is ready to creep up on you without a moment's notice.  We were watching a show today, and one of the character's mom passed away in her sleep.  That sent me for a loop.  That's what happen to Preston.  He took a nap and never woke up.  At least, I hope that's what happened since we don't really know for sure since the nanny had left him alone.  I would imagine, at least, this is a peaceful way to go.

Grief brings a lot of emotions and thoughts that will try to pull you into darkness.  These strong, often negative emotions lurk in the shadows ready to pounce on you when you are vulnerable, or more vulnerable.  I imagine, that these dark feelings and ideas will always be somewhere nearby.

Despite the shadows though, we always have the power to let the light in.  We can allow positivity into our lives and concentrate on the good memories, however few they may be.  We can remind ourselves that while the guilt is there, deep inside, we know we did EVERYTHING we could.  And the sadness?  Well the sadness, it exists because the love was so great.  The love will always be there.  Your child lives in your heart forever.  And if that's not a symbol of a light shining somewhere nearby, I don't know what is.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you...my favorite is "well the sadness,it exists because the love was so great". That is so beautiful and powerfull! You helped me get threw another moment in my sad day after losing my baby girl in my belly just a few days ago. Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina, I'm so terribly sorry for the loss of your baby girl. I'm so incredibly touched that my writing has helped you. Keeping your in my thoughts and prayers.

      Delete
  2. To brighten my day yesterday, I saw a bird's feather while shovelling the snow. It has been since autumn that I had not had a sign from little Preston. It made my day!

    ReplyDelete