Monday, February 23, 2015

Positively February: Day 23


"Never underestimate the power of a simple hug."

If I had more time, I would have come up with a much better picture of a hug... instead I take you back to 1983 where I was hugging my stuffed dog "Woofwoof".  I know original right?

I think it's important to touch on the hug.  Sometimes, you think you are doing okay, and you get a meaningful hug out of the blue, and it just releases all that negative energy you had in you.  It makes stress fly away, even when you didn't know it was present.  Sometimes, it even results in the shedding of tears you didn't know you were holding back.

A hug is a simple thing to do.  It is free.  It can change the outcome of someone's day.  It can be just what they needed.  It can remind them, that you care.  It's worth more than a hundred words, especially when you feel you can't find the "right" ones.  When in doubt, give a hug.  You can't really go wrong.

There have been several instances where a friend just came to give me a hug and it was exactly what I needed.  That hug that says, "I know you are telling me you are okay, but I know you aren't".  Those are some of the best kind.  I think the one that sticks out the most to me was when I'd been emailing back and forth with Jessica one morning, and she just came over and hugged me 10 minutes later.  I didn't know I needed it.  I shed some tears.  I think she did too.  It taught me to appreciate hugs so much more than I ever had before.  It taught me to give them more often.

I didn't get to hug Preston much, being that he was just a baby.  But, I did several times, without too much pressure.  It was one of the most powerful feelings in the world.  After he passed away, I hugged some of his things... like non-stop.  I slept with his onesie and blanket for weeks and weeks.  It got easier, I guess is the word.  A hug can be so comforting.  I think we truly undervalue and think too little of hugs.

We don't know what everyone else is going through or their most inner thoughts.  Everyone has their dark battles.  Everyone has their struggles.  Don't compare them to yours, you can't.  Your fights are yours, and others have theirs.  Perhaps it seems menial to you, but it could be the largest mountain they've ever climbed.  Instead, just give a hug when it seems like your friend is having a rough day.  Hug your friend when congratulating him or her.  Hug just because.  You just never know.  I know one thing for sure - I don't always know when I need a hug.  When's the last time you hugged someone?

1 comment:

  1. Hugs are awesome..thanks for reminding me to hug and love others. It's a beautiful thing that you go outside of yourself everyday to help others and yourself at the same time! Much Love!

    ReplyDelete