Sunday, December 21, 2014

How is that comfortable?


Cats live like royalty.  They own whatever room they are in, and will not let you forget it.  There is no rule they won't break.  They are waited on hand and foot.  They don't have to work.  They sleep and play as much as they like.  What a life!  Yet it's not a life that I would enjoy living.  I spent months being unable to work because I had to wait for paperwork to be processed by the government and it was depressing.  I don't know that I'd enjoy having someone do everything for me.  I enjoy cooking.  I could probably do without the housekeeping duties, it's not something I enjoy at all.  I'm certainly not a great housekeeper, though I am trying to get better at it.

The cat trait I'd love to inherit though is being able to find comfort anywhere.  Whether it be in a box that's too small for me, sprawled out of the cold floor, or on the bed, with part of me hanging off.  I don't find comfort in a lot of places.  I can't fall asleep in a moving vehicle.. which made for an interesting trip to Hawaii for our honeymoon.  I know we had a layover somewhere... Oakland maybe.. and there was a delay, or there was just a really long wait between flights.  I think I was so tired that the details are really blurry.  All I know is I hadn't slept for what felt like 24 hours, and just totally crashed when we got to the hotel in Waikiki Beach.. Oops!  Though I blame Crohn's Disease too.  Pre-surgery, I slept a lot more.  It wasn't rare that I'd sleep until noon on the weekend.  I usually don't get past 9:00 am now, but it's usually closer to 7:00 or 8:00.  A little bit better than 5:00 on weekdays right? :)

All in all, I don't sleep well if I'm not at home in my own bed.  I love watching TV, but need a blanket for ultimate comfort.  I would snack all day long if I could because that too is very comforting to me, but that wouldn't really make sense for a girl trying to lose weight.  Food, warmth and sleep.. the trifecta of comfort!

I don't know how cats find it comfortable to fall asleep on the cold hardwood floor in the middle of winter.  Some things make sense, like Acro napping all afternoon in front of the fire place... oh so gracefully with his belly in the air.  I actually think that it would be too warm to sleep right by the fireplace, but I'm not a cat so who knows.  I guess that as long as they find it comfortable, I can't say I have a problem with that.  I love that they are comfortable.

I find my home as a whole comfortable.  There are a million projects to make it even more so, but I want this to be my forever home.  We dreamed of bigger houses as our children got older.  With Preston no longer being with us, I don't want to leave the comfort of this house that he knew as his only home.  It was comfortable to him.  He unlike me, could fall asleep anywhere.  The vacuum cleaner didn't wake him up, nor did the roar of the train in the distance.  I need a lot of coziness to stay asleep.

Regardless of my inability to sleep soundly like the rest of my family, including my crazy cats, this home is filled with warmth.  This home will forever bring me comfort as it's a reminder of the life that Preston lived, even if just for a short while.

What is your trifecta of comfort?

No comments:

Post a Comment