Monday, December 22, 2014

Tradition metamorphosis

Growing up, Christmas was filled with tradition.  We would go to 8 o'clock mass at l'église de Ste-Geneviève and for a couple years, St-Thomas a Becket since I was part of the choir in grade school.  We listened to the readings and the sermon.  We sung along to the Christmas carols sung by the choir.  My favorite was always "Angels We Have Heard On High".

After mass, we would spend an hour or so with our neighbors, at their house.  The adults would sip eggnog as we the children wondered what Santa was to bring us in a few hours.  We pestered our parents, I'm sure, to find out when we were going home.  When the time finally came, we were told to go to bed, so that mom could finish the midnight dinner and so that Santa could come and leave presents for us under the tree.  To this day, I still swear that one night.. I heard the giggling of bells on our roof.  Crazy right?

A few hours later, we were awakened.  Santa had come down the chimney and spread out presents, perfectly and neatly under our tree.  We ate appetizers and opened presents, raveling at the prizes we were just awarded.  Once we were done, we had a nice family dinner in the dining room, at around midnight or 1am.  Roast beef was usually on the menu, along with other deliciousness like mashed potatoes and tourtière.  Dessert often included chocolate goodies or petits fours.  Yum!  I wish I could recall this a little better.  We then went on to play with our loot until the wee hours of the morning.  We went to sleep, and woke up to a Christmas morning brunch.  We sure did eat well..  Thanks mom!

As we grew older, and the illusion of Santa lost it's luster, the unwrapping of gifts was prolonged as one present at a time was opened, so that all could see what the other received.  It was a good time, and I really enjoyed spending that time with my family, and observing their expressions as they opened gift after gift.  I guess the presents didn't matter so much.  It was more the thought behind them.  I struggle with finding the perfect gift more and more every year as we are all at a point in our lives where we really have everything that we need.. or at least anything that can be bought that we need.  Somethings you just can't buy.

Now that I am in Colorado, there is no Christmas Eve "Réveillon".  That is more a French-Canadian tradition.  I do feel though that I've been able to incorporate some aspects of my previous traditions into my new traditions.  We are allowed to open 1 present on Christmas Eve.  Sometimes we even get to open our Christmas stocking on Christmas Eve.  The Christmas stocking is a new tradition for me.  We didn't put those up as children.  There was one big stocking that my mom filled with presents, one for each of us.  We have appetizers and drinks and spend family time together.  The next morning, we open presents, one at a time, and the person who last opened a present, gets to choose the next present to be opened.  I rather like that.  We had started doing the same back in Montreal, and I assume that this has continued.  Later on Christmas, we have an early dinner which is very traditional - turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, stuffing, rolls.  Since I started making my meat pie, it was added to the menu, and I don't think any of us would feel that it is Christmas without it.

This year, yet again, I believe that our Christmas traditions will experience a metamorphosis.  I would like to have a candle lit the whole time, for Preston, so that we think of him throughout the festivities.  Perhaps, he will feel our love for him and stop by for a little visit in the mountains at his grandparent's house, which he only visited once.  I hope that in the years to come, we go back to driving around our neighborhood to see the beautiful lights and decorations that have been put up to spread light and cheer.  I hope that it makes me smile, like it used to.  I hope that I find the courage to set up my Christmas village again, and that perhaps, by then, Preston has a little brother or sister that can admire it.

And maybe, just maybe, we can put up a stocking for Preston, where anyone can drop a letter to him, or what they wish he got to see, what we think he might be like.  Perhaps that will be too hard, and the stocking will need to simply be reserved for the sharing of happy thoughts, for us to read to each other and remind ourselves, of all the things that still exist that make us smile, bring us happiness.

Have your traditions remained the same throughout the years? Have you been able to incorporate old customs into your current festivities?


1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you this holiday season. I know traditions and your idea of what Christmas is and what it looks like is so different than that you imagined it would be last year. I know the one thing you want for Christmas is the one thing you can't have, and my heart breaks for you. But, I admire that you are looking to the future and ways to incorporate Preston into the holidays. Our babies are in heaven, and I'm sure they are having the biggest Christmas celebration there can be up there.

    ReplyDelete