Wednesday, December 3, 2014

A special little place in Alberta



I did a rush job on this picture.  I needed a bookshelf but didn't want to wake up my husband, so this will have to do for today.  Tonight, I wanted to share how my cousin Alicia and her husband James #SpreadHappinessForPreston.

The passing of a child is something which creates very strong emotions.  Hearing about it can make just about anyone react with feelings of sorrow and agony.  For parents, I imagine that is very true. Like most, my cousin was not immune to the news of Preston's passing.  She is family after all, and even though she never met my little guy, she messaged me often; still does.  I appreciate that a lot.  Gone are the days where we would spend time playing games, giggling in the background as our parents enjoyed a special meal together.  Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Years.  Those were probably our annual get together's with the added summer vacation here and there.  Alicia moved away to Alberta, and several years later, I followed suit by moving away from our families.  Quite honestly, I think I live closer to her now than I live to the rest of my family, yet neither of us have had the opportunity to visit the other.  We'll have to rectify that situation at some point.

When I started talking about #SpreadHappinessForPreston, she was one of the first who told me would participate.  She helped me spread the word about Preston's birthday.  All this was so very sympathetic and I appreciate it so, so much.  Alicia's daughter attends elementary school, and this school was damaged by a flood last summer.  Particularly, the library sustained a lot of damage and had to dispose of too many books.  Alicia and her husband requested a list of high demand books and donated them to the school library on Preston's birthday.  An inscription was added into each book to honor my son: #SpreadHappinessForPreston.  A wonderful lady, the librarian, who'm I have never met, will be placing a name plate, with Preston's name somewhere in the library, where these books will be displayed and available to be borrowed.  This lovely woman, was touched by Preston's story, and will be explaining the meaning of #SpreadHappinessForPreston to anyone who asks as my son, will be making his way around multitudes of homes, as children, year in and year out, check out these books from the library.

I didn't know this story until just a little while ago.  Reading everything that my cousin wrote me, moved me so much.  This is a story which makes me happy, and that I hope will bring a smile to your face.  The gratitude I have for my cousin, for her husband, for the librarian, and for all others that have been spreading happiness, creating smiles, all in the name of my son.. I don't have words for it.  It's an overwhelming feeling.  I look forward to sharing in detail, all the happiness that my son is infusing into the world, one person at a time.

I am always happy to hear how anyone, everyone, has spread happiness for Preston.  Your kindness, your participation, makes me feel like one special mama.  And yes, my son isn't here to be seen, but I am forever his mother, and damn proud of it!


2 comments:

  1. That is amazing!!! What a sweet tribute. Your family is very special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an smart and innovative thing Alicia and James did to spread happiness for Preston. I am certain that Preston is happy and oh so proud of what his Mom has done to celebrate his Birthday.

    ReplyDelete