Thursday, December 25, 2014

The Lonely Red Tree


For the past month the picture above has been what I stare at, from my seat on the train as I await for it to depart for Denver.  Why are the lights on all these trees white, except for a lone one which garnishes red little bulbs?  I've hypothesized for a month now.  I'm sure I'm reading way too much into it, but so go the thoughts in my head...

Christmas is a time of light.  A time for happiness, a time for family.  A time for celebration, a time to be grateful for Jesus and the sacrifices He and God made to give us this life that we have.  A time to rejoice.  However, for some, Christmas is not as joyful.  Some are homeless.  Some are alone.  Some are apart from their families as they try to protect our countries.  Some are without a loved one because they passed away this last year, or maybe years ago and it's just not quite the same without them.  For some, Christmas is a painful reminder of what they do not have.  I think this is well represented by the slew of trees decorated in white surrounding the one lone tree adorned in red.

You have to notice though, this lonely red tree is not off on it's own.  It is flanked by the sea of white lit trees.  Do I feel lonely this Christmas without Preston?  Absolutely.  Do I feel sad this Christmas because my son isn't here to see wrapping paper fly all around him? That he doesn't get to enjoy playing with the box instead of the toy inside of it?  Undeniably, yes.  Do I feel incomplete as I sit surrounded by loved ones?  Unfortunately, I do.  However, I am that - surrounded by love, by light.  Just like the little red tree.

Not only is Christmas about coming together with loved ones, but it is also about opening our hearts to those less fortunate.  We donate to food drives, and charities.  We give coats that we don't use anymore.  We offer our homes to those who don't have a place to celebrate.  We have light in our hearts and don't ostracize the sad, the lonely, the hungry.

To whoever decorated those trees, thank you.  Thank you for the reminder that I am not alone feeling this way on Christ's birthday.  Thank you for making me think all month, and come to peace with the fact that it is acceptable for me to feel sadness throughout this holiday season.  Thank you for giving a new meaning to the town of Lone Tree, that same town my son was born in.  This little lonely red tree gave me a lot of inspiration, and hopefully it did for many others.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. We share your feelings as Christmas was not like any of the previous ones we have known, but I am sure that, with the years to come, we will be able to get into the spirit of Christmas without forgetting our dearest departed grandson.

    Sorry that we missed your call last night, we got home around midnight. We are so thankful that Brett's parents and family are "nearby" (surely in comparison with us) and that they care and love you both unconditionally.

    We wish you peace, love and understanding this Christmas. Looking forward to talking with you tonight or tomorrow. Hugs and kisses to you both!

    ReplyDelete