Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Pursued by colors


If you've grown to get to know Preston through my blog, by now you are well versed in his love for bright colors.  He loved staring at the painting that hangs above our couch.  It's of the city of Boulder, Colorado.  The painting has a lot of blues, greens and reds.  I was so blessed this year with beautiful rainbows that graced the sky.  I do not recall a year where I have seen so many.

The season for rainbows is however behind us for this year.  To my recollection, I have not seen rainbows late in the Fall season and through Winter.  It seems though, that colors pursue me wherever I go.  When we stepped out of the Aria while in Las Vegas last month, the fountain was dancing again.  I'd seen the water jump all around and in fun patterns when we'd arrived that afternoon, but it was different.  The water was multicolored, and it was dancing around as if to say, smile and be happy.

It's obvious to me that this fountain is programmed a certain way, and that this wasn't a sign from Preston, but at the same time.. there are so many hotels on the Strip.  I stopped and stared at the fountain for what seemed like hours but I know it was just mere minutes.  The best shot I could get is pictured above.  It is probably the only thing that really prompted me to think about Preston in Vegas.  I thought of him every day, but it was of my own free will.  This just made me smile and remember how much my little guy loved to watch the bright colors in the things around him.

In the city we live in, every year, they light a star at the top of a large rock that sits behind the downtown area.  They've been doing so since the mid-1930's and every year, I've admired the white lights the star exudes.  We were driving home from Brett's parents house a few weeks ago and I noticed that the star appeared to be changing colors.  I thought perhaps the distance was playing tricks on my eyes, but as we grew closer to it, I realized I wasn't dreaming and the city had used lights which alternate colors.  From red, to blue, to yellow to fuchsia, to white, etc.  Why this year?  Have they been doing this a while and I never noticed?  Another coincidence, given Preston's love of colors?  Certainly, the city has no way of knowing this.  I've tried to research it but to no avail.

I'm chalking it up to serendipity again.  All of it.  I appear to continue to be pursued by colors.  Rainbows, dancing water fountains of all colors and a white star turned multicolored.  I welcome it.  Continue chasing me.  It makes me feel like Preston is not so far away as he seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment