Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Talent shows

We recently started watching "America's Got Talent" again.  It's been a nice surprise.

I tried watching "American Idol" when it first started but I didn't find it enjoyable because during the auditions, they continually made fun of people who couldn't sing.  I think they even had an episode for the worst talent.  How unnecessarily cruel. 

I liked the concept of "The Voice" and while I don't watch it religiously by any means, I think that when they do show someone who didn't make it, they actually give positive criticism.  There's no cruel comments, or laughing.

I watched "AGT" when it first started and it was similar to what I remember from "American Idol".  They showed a lot of bad acts; they made fun of some of the acts and it just felt like cruel treatment to people who are probably already feeling down on themselves.  You might say it's part of the show and they probably sign something that says they can be made fun of, but still - really who enjoys that?  How would you feel if you thought you were good at something and then you are ridiculed.  Not just in front of judges and the audience, but then in front of the world.

This season, the unsuccessful acts seem to not make it to the air as much, which I appreciate.  We just watched tonight's episode and I found myself smiling for the most part of the show.  It was nice.  There's a lot of touching stories about overcoming fears, illnesses, loss.  You can see the courage it takes some people to go up there and share their talent.  It's a sign of hope - and when you have gone through a loss as tragic as losing a child, hope is hard to find.

So thank you AGT.  Thank you for restoring my faith by not constantly making fun of people or at least not making a spectacle of it.  Thank you for the touching stories.  Thank you for bringing a beam of hope into our lives.  If you haven't checked out this season yet, and you are looking for a summer show, try AGT - I hope it will make you smile like it did me.  Here's one of the stories I found really touching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO-abUhL_Ws.

On a totally side note - I saw two rainbows today.  One shared from across the border (thank you Sherri!) and one during my walk with hubby tonight.  Someone had a rainbow pinwheel in their garden.  We walked down some paths we hadn't gone down yet.  And I also saw many bunnies :)


No comments:

Post a Comment