Saturday, June 21, 2014

Take Control

Friday, my day started with a woman getting on the train and sitting in front of me.  She was using a portable oxygen dispensing machine.  I felt sad for her because she had to deal with this struggle... until I got a wiff of her.  She reeked of cigarette smoke.  It was bad...and that just got me pissed off.  Lady, take a hint!! If you need an oxygen dispenser to help you make it through each day, maybe it's time to quit smoking!

There are things in life that we can't control.  I can't control the fact that I have Crohn's Disease.  I can't control the fact that my son passed away from SIDS or SUDS or SUID, whatever you want to call it.  No one knows what causes either of these.  Everyone has things they can't control in their life.  The examples I listed are the 2 that affect me the most.

While I can't control the fact that I have Crohn's Disease, I can control my way of life.  I seek treatment to keep my chronic illness under control.  I've had surgery to give me quality of life.  As part of my new beginnings, I've been trying to take walks every day and recently started counting calories (as much as that sucks).  I've lost 2 pounds this week by just controlling how I live my life. 

I can't control that I lost my son to unexplained reasons.  It is the most pain I've ever felt and I've had my share of painful experiences.  I can't bring him back, I can't change the past.  But I can share my experience to try and help others, whether they've lost a child or just need some other form of motivation.  I remember the happiness Preston brought to my life and I can try to find some form of happiness every day to honor his memory.  While no day feels like a happy day, I believe most days have very happy moments.  It's all I can do for now, and that's ok.  Sometimes, we just have to take things...one day at a time, one moment at a time.  Keep that in mind for that next rough day you have - one day at a time.
 
And yes, if there's anything in your life that is making you unhappy, or that you find yourself complaining about - take control.  You can do more than you think.  I can't promise that what you can do will be easy, but in the end, it will be control.  You can do it!  Are there things in your life that you think you good do to make it happier, healthier, or just better in general?

Picture taken last weekend (I wasn't driving don't worry), on our way to Black Hawk. The snow-capped mountains were beautiful looking.  I chose this picture because for the most part - you can control where you live and I'm happy that we live in such a beautiful area.

No comments:

Post a Comment