Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Colors

 
 
 
I tried to capture the sunrise this morning.  The picture doesn't quite do it justice, and quite frankly, the sunrise this morning didn't do justice to the sunrises as of late.  Still it's very pretty and it makes me grateful.
 
And therefore, on day 4 of my 30 days of gratitude, I am thankful for my eyesight and all the colors that fill our every day lives.  I'm thankful because it creates such beauty, but I'm more thankful because it amazed Preston.  It made him smile, and there was nothing in the world like his smile.  It lit up the world and made it a brighter place.  Hopefully it still does through images.
 
We see the yellow in sunflowers and marigolds.  Yellow in the morning sunrise.  Yellow in the rubber ducky thermometer we used for Preston's bath.  Yellow for the cover of his favorite book.  We see orange in the sunsets.  We see it in the fall, with all the leafy trees.  Orange like the Bronco's Peyton Manning jersey/onesie Preston wore earlier this year.  Orange like the onesie he wore home from the hospital.  Orange like his birthstone, and Brett's, and mine.  We see pink in yummy pink lemonade.  Pink like the sun hitting the horizon, in the morning and evening.  Pink like the leaves on cherry blossoms in May. 
 
Red, so bright.  Like the roofs of the CU Boulder buildings.  Not only in Boulder, but on the painting in our living room; the one Preston loved to stare at so much.  Red like delicious raspberries and strawberries.  Like crunchy apples.  Like the dress I wore when we had family pictures taken, and that I last wore at his memorial.  We see green in the vibrant grass.  Green like the growing garden in the backyard.  Green ever so present in Preston's favorite painting.  Like the evergreens.  Green on the top of a ping pong table; a pastime Brett would have taught Preston. Green like frogs... Didn't you swim like a froggy during tummy time? :)
 
Blue like the sea.  Blue like the sky.  Blue like those pretty eyes my son batted at me.  Blue so predominant in the Cubs uniform.  Blue like your favorite blanket.   Purple adding another layer to each sunrise.  As I was getting on the highway.  Purple like Russian Sage, so prevalent in our neighborhood.  Purple like the spring lilacs.  Purple the last color of a rainbow.  I saw that double rainbow you sent yesterday by the way.  I also saw that white little feather in the grass by my car door this morning.  And the bunnies that have been hanging out in the neighbor's backyard all week.
 
So you see, there is beauty in everything thanks to color.  Colors warm up our sight, our life.  Colors warm our soul, fill our memories and make us smile.  I'm so thankful that Preston was able to develop a love for colors.  I'm so thankful they captivated his attention, made him smile.
 
My favorite colors are red and blue.  Perhaps because it's the colors for my favorite hockey team the Canadiens.  Perhaps it's because some of my favorite things to wear for Preston were those colors.  Perhaps because they are so vibrant.  What is your favorite color or colors if you just can't pick one?
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Loved your last posts and especially Tuesday's and about the colours and how Preston loved them! I also got a "wink" from Preston this morning as I also saw a feather on the grass. Hug and kisses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad he continues to send you little signs. :)

      Delete
  2. My favorite color is purple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one wasn't too hard to guess :). I loved your rainbow reference in the office the other day. Made me smile for sure!

      Delete