Saturday, August 23, 2014

30 days of gratitude

Over the past couple years, I've seen friends on Facebook post something to the likes of "3 days of gratitude", where you post 3 things that you are grateful for and subsequently nominate three friends to do the same.  When you a grieving the loss of a child, it becomes very easy to go to dark places, to be depressed and recoil into nothingness.  I am planning on doing 30 days of gratitude.  Every day, I will post something that I am grateful for, and elaborate on it.  I believe that finding 30 things to be grateful for will be challenging, but in the end, I strongly believe it will help me with my healing process. 

I will not be nominating anyone, but you are welcome to join me with this initiative.  Feel free to join through comments on my blog, on facebook, via email, via twitter, or BBC.  You can join at anytime.  You don't need to elaborate into as many details as I do.  You can simply state which day you are on and what you are grateful for :).  If nothing else, I hope you get something out of my gratitudes.  Sometimes, it's hard to realize what we are grateful for and we start taking things for granted.  It's just human nature ;)

Day 1: I am grateful for the 16 weeks I had with Preston.

My son was born November 19th, 2013 and while we had a rocky start with him being 4lbs 5 oz, we were able to take him home on Thanksgiving, November 28th (also my father in law's birthday).  The first days were scary, because he was tiny, there were no nurses, he'd make a lot of little noises as he slept, and it would just freak me out that something might be wrong.  I was terrified that he'd stop breathing especially while I was asleep.  I prayed to God every night asking him to watch over Preston as I slept.  I thanked him every night for watching over him and prayed again for him to watch over him.

We had a great 16 weeks.  He learned how to drink out of a bottle.  He loved looking at the colorful painting that sits above our couch in the living room.  He loved being read to.  We had him on a pretty strict schedule.  Every 3 hours I'd pump, and then he'd eat.  We'd play with him for a bit after he was burped, and then he would nap.  Rinse and repeat.  It was a well oiled machine.  As he grew older, stronger and bigger, every 3 hours became every 3 and a half hours, every four hours.  I think he was down to about 6 bottles a day when he was 16 weeks old.  He was starting to sleep from about 10:30-5:00.  I loved the evenings with him.  We'd listen to music, we'd play in his bouncer, we'd read books, do belly time.  This little piggy was losing it's luster for him, but he was loving raspberries on his belly.  I had started making a funny noise while pulling my tongue out at him and it would make him giggle so much.  Plus, he tried to do it too.  Remember that picture of him pulling out his tongue?  That's what he was doing.


He was a smart boy.  He appeared to be able to discern color much earlier than "they", whoever they are, say babies should be.  He told stories from the moment he was born.  He rolled over at daycare on March 6th.  He was just 15 weeks old, or 10 weeks if you adjust his age for when he should have been born.  He knew when it was time to eat and would start to squirm a little.  If you took too long, then he would cry a little bit.  He loved to look at the doggies (that looked more like bunnies) on his swing as they "ran" around in a circle.  His focus was really fascinating.  He was just starting to understand what it was to hold things, and was on the verge of discovering his hands.  It seemed to me, that he was just starting to get his first little teeth. 

He enjoyed bath time, but not as much as I thought he would.  You could tell though, that once he understood it a little more instead of concentrating on the fact that he was starting to feel cold, he would have absolutely loved it.  He was a happy boy when he was clean.  I've never seen a baby hate having a wet diaper so much.  A drop of pee and that was it.  I need a new one mama!  It wasn't rare that we went through 12 diapers a day, even at 16 weeks old.

Those 16 weeks taught me what pure and true happiness was; what true love was.  I am grateful for those 16 weeks, because I got to know the most precious being that ever lived.  Okay, so I'm biased, sue me ;).  He would have smiled all day if he didn't have to sleep and eat.  And while losing him has been the hardest thing I've ever had to do, I wouldn't trade those 16 weeks, even the hard ones, for anything in the world.

 
Gotta love how big his binky looks for him.  lol
 
 
 

On a side note, it's interesting the things you run into.  We went to dinner with my in-laws tonight and in the parking lot, in the spot next to ours, was this little stuffed bunny.  We don't usually go to Outback Steakhouse, and we hadn't planned on going out tonight.  But there was that bunny.  Signs come in all shapes and sizes don't they?



2 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS!!! I've been seeing the days of gratitude thing EVERYWHERE lately and I may start it myself. This post was so precious. I feel so lucky that I get to "know" Preston through your blog. He seems like such a smart, happy little boy. I hate using past tense words when talking about our angels, because they still exist. It takes a special person and a wonderful mother to be grateful for their child, even when they lose them. I think so many baby loss moms lose sight of that, because they do not think of themselves as lucky given the circumstances. You're such a great mom to Preston :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Krystal. It means so much that you feel lucky to get to know my little angel. Re-reading this today, is something I really needed.

      Delete