Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Snowmageddon

With the news all about a massive storm hitting the East Coast today, it feels like a great time to share one of my most memorable winter moments. It was 1980 something and we had snow... a lot of it.  Back then, the cold didn't phase me.  Perhaps it was the 3 or 4 layers of clothes I had on, the mittens and hats.  Or maybe it was just the pure innocence of childhood.  I must say I miss those days as I can't stand the cold as an adult.  Makes for interesting conversations about the thermostat in the house as my husband, doesn't like to be too warm.

Back to the memory - 1980 something with mountains of snow.  Growing up, my house was on a street corner which meant 2 driveways.  That snow-blower was a great investment, right Dad?  The snow would be dumped from the driveways to the sides of the driveway and made for great fort building.  This particular year, I remember we made a wonderful fort.  Ted and I, well probably mostly Ted, made nooks and room divisions.  We even had a fridge with a door that opened and a TV.  You can see it in the pictures below.  It's the square with sticks in it, because TVs had antennas back then.

It was great fun.  The building, and then playing in the fort for days.  I often wonder what type of winter sports and winter activities I would have done with Preston.  The snow doesn't stay on the ground for very long here in Colorado.  Perhaps it does in the mountains, but here in the foothills, a couple days and it's gone.  Where does this leave the building of a snowman?

I know we would have gone sliding on the little hill behind our house.  Maybe we would have gone to the mountains and hung out in the lodge as his dad snowboards the day away.  We could have taught him to snowboard or ski out back, start small you know?  Snow angels in the snow?  Skating.. maybe? Though I'd have a hard time teaching him seeing as I can only turn one way, lol.

Maybe my favorite, would have been cuddling by the fire on a cold day, where it snows non-stop.  Watch movies and read books together.  Yeah, I think, that would have been perfection.  What a wonderful image to go to sleep on :)

PS. The biggest irony of this post - it was 70 degrees today :)





1 comment:

  1. Ok first - 70 degrees? I'm jealous over here. And i know it must be so difficult to go through the seasons thinking of all the things you would have done with your little one. I fear it will always be like that - but you are right - sometimes these images are great things to think about at night. You will get to do all those things with Preston one day.

    ReplyDelete