Saturday, January 24, 2015

A funny feeling


Yesterday was a nice day.  Had a good day at work, and Brett picked me up at the train station since we were going to Patty's to play poker.  We stopped on the way to buy some beer and then took a road which I thought would take us to Patty's.  I guess I didn't look at the map far enough to see that it didn't go where we needed it to go.  So I had to get us to do a few turns and we ended up on this one street with humongous properties and houses.  This one property had about a hundreds and hundreds of trees, and they were all adorned with white lights.  It was beautiful.  Should we ever win the big bucks, guess where we want to move to??

We got to Patty's a little later than planned.  It was wonderful to see Patty.  It'd been too long.  Time flies when you keep yourself busy I guess!  It was very nice to catch up with her, and great to see friends I hadn't seen in a long time.  We had some good food and then got down to business and played some poker!

I love playing poker.  I've been playing since I was a little girl.  I think I learned at my grandmere's house or at our fishing cottage where we would often play penny poker.  I think we'd play at home or at our neighbor's house every now and then.  We'd play all kinds of different types of poker - 5 card draw, baseball poker (I think), we'd play with wild cards and with special bonuses for having the highest or lowest of a suit.  It was fun.  The dealer got to choose what type of poker we played, and the wildcards, or other variants if they so pleased.

Since my twenties, I've only really played Texas Hold' Em.  It's a fun game.  It requires a lot of strategy and of course a little bit of luck.  This is probably true about all poker games, but I've learned to enjoy this version of poker.  I wouldn't say I'm really good, but I can hold my own.  It requires a lot of patience sometimes which I usually have in bunches.  Sometimes though when the cards don't go your way, it's easy to let the frustration get to you and it often gets the best of me.

Last night was fun.  I had a couple decent hands, and was able to stay with an amount of chips I was comfortable with.  Then the flop that you see above appeared.  An ace of hearts sandwiched by a jack and a nine (I don't recall the suits).  If you aren't familiar with Texas Hold' Em, the flop is the first 3 community cards that are turned for everyone to bet on.  The next card is called the turn, and the final card is called the river.  Anywho, the pictured flop appeared and it just made me smile as it made me think of my grandmere, grandpapa and Preston.  The jack & nine was my grandmere's favorite cards, and those were the wild cards she'd always use.  Or maybe it was my grandpapa and I was just told that was his favorite hand.  Or maybe it was both.  All I know is that those cards remind me of my mom's parents, even if I never met her dad.  For some reason, seeing the ace of hearts between their cards, it just made me think of the dream I had a few days after Preston passed away - We were in our living room and Brett's grandma was there, even though she'd passed away a year earlier.  We were asking her about Preston, and she said a nice woman was taking care of him.  She'd been there for a long time, and her husband was there too, helping.  I immediately thought of my grandparents and it made me feel a little better when I woke up, knowing my loved ones were watching him, taking care of him, loving him.

March was a difficult month all around.  April, and May weren't much better.  But that dream did help.  Seeing those cards together last night, didn't make me sad.  It made me feel like my loved ones were around me.  Gave me some confidence to play good poker.  And I won! Yay me!  I don't think they made me win or anything, but I had a nice time.  I loved feeling their presence.  I loved feeling confident for most of the night.  I almost let frustration get the best of me, but I found my patience, and it paid off.  Now... what should I do with all that money??? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment