Sunday, January 4, 2015

A watched water dispenser doesn't make bubbles


Our cats are funny creatures.  When we change the water in their bowl/dispenser, they sit next to it for hours because as the water first dispenses, air bubbles make it into the tiny water jug.  They try to get them by batting at it or grabbing it with their paws.  It's actually become a hobby of theirs to watch this water dispenser, even when we haven't just changed their water.  It bubbles so seldom, yet they continue to patiently wait for movement, like the small predators that they are, ready to pounce.  Don't they know that a watched water dispenser doesn't make bubbles?

I feel a little clever for finding a way to fit the popular saying to fit my situation - a watched pot doesn't boil.  What am I trying to say with all these metaphors?  Sitting by a window, staring at the sky won't make a rainbow appear.  In the middle of winter, I can't expect to see bunnies at every corner.  I can't spend my every waking moment looking for signs, yet I find myself doing just that.  I try not to, but it becomes difficult when the signs are few and far between.  I think after Christmas, I stopped looking for a little while.  Not because I didn't want any, but because I got busy at work, at home.  I kept really busy actually.  This does not mean Preston wasn't on my mind.  I think about him constantly, day and night.

And that's when all those signs appeared.  I wasn't looking for them, but I believe in them.  Much like when my cats aren't looking at their water dispenser, it will occasionally create an air bubble.  They could sit there all night and not get a bubble, and there it would be, 2 minutes later.  Or hours later.

In the grand scheme of things, I can't teach my cats patience, but I myself have grown to have a lot of patience.  With myself.  With others.  With my health.  With time.  Slowly, I hope to learn patience in between signs sent by Preston.  I don't know how Heaven works.  Maybe angels can only do some so often.  Maybe he's busy spreading happiness halfway around the world.  Maybe sending signs requires moving Heaven and Earth.  Whatever it may take, I will try to have more patience.  I will try not to expect signs every day.  I will attempt to not be too sad when I go days, weeks without one.  I'll never stop hoping for them though.  Keep sending them Preston :)

Thanks for sending bunnies to Jocelyn today.  She sent me nice pictures.  Always makes me smile when someone else thinks about you and tells me about it.  You live on my love, my sweet Preston.  You always will...

No comments:

Post a Comment