Sunday, January 25, 2015

Is there anything duct tape can't fix?


When we took our road trip to Cooperstown and Montreal this past fall, we flew in and out of New York.  We took the time to visit our good friend Jimmy and he took us walking onto the Brooklyn Bridge.  Quite an experience.  Fantastic views of the city.  As with most roads it seems, a lot of construction was happening on the bridge.  As you can tell from the picture above, it might not be in the best shape... but hey duct tape is keeping this lamp up...

It made me laugh.  I love duct tape.  I've used it on many things myself in the hopes of a quick and easy fix.  It usually works.  And it comes in a lot of fun designs and colors nowadays.  But is there anything duct tape can't fix?  As much as I wish I could put a piece of duct tape on my heart, I don't think it would work.  Which really makes me wonder, do I even want my broken heart healed?

I've been thinking about it for a long, long time.  And honestly, even if it is sad, no.  I don't want my heart to ever be completely healed, even if it was an option.  I don't want to forget my son.  If I had my way, I wouldn't want anyone to forget my son, and hopefully my blog makes it so that a lot of people remember him for a long time, if not for eternity.  He was a truly special little guy.  And my dad is right in what he told me on the phone earlier today - he's made an impact on a lot of lives.

Some things you can fix and some you cannot.  Somethings are meant to be broken, never to be made whole again.  And so yes, my heart is broken and it has healed and will continue to heal, but it will never be completely whole until I am with Preston again one day.  And since I can't be with him now, I wouldn't have it any other way.  Much like we have scars that remind us of a struggle and give us strength, my broken heart reminds me of how wonderful my life was when Preston was with us.  It reminds me of everything he's taught me - when he was here and when he wasn't anymore.  It reminds me that healing exists and that one day, we will be reunited in the kingdom of God.

Do you have anything you wish you could fix with duct tape? Or perhaps something that is broken, that you don't want to ever fix?

No comments:

Post a Comment