Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Fancy!

As you may have noticed, I have taken a break from writing my blog.  It wasn't planned.  I knew I was going on vacation, and figured I'd have all the time in the world to write.  That hasn't been the case.  We were on the road for 4 hours on Friday night, and by the time we arrived to destination, we were really hungry, and tired.  The next day, we drove another 11 hours or so, and upon arrival to Las Vegas, we had plans, and I couldn't keep my eyes opened when we finally called it a night.  Sunday, I reserved for Brett since Monday and Tuesday were going to be reserved to his conference activities. When I went to sleep on Friday night, I figured it would just be one of those odd days off that I miss out on writing my blog.  And here we are, Tuesday morning..

I have many things to discuss in relations to our road trip, my experience in Vegas thus far and thoughts of Preston, almost 1 week away from his 1st birthday.  How did that happen? How is his birthday 8 days away?  But, more on all this later this week...

When planning this trip, I tried to map out some of the things I'd do while on vacation.  Go to the pool, to the spa, try out yoga, gamble a little bit here and there, shop, have lunch with some friends, and get my hair done.  I've been needing to get my hair done for at least a month now.  Life gets in the way though.  I would often get so busy at work that I would forget to make an appointment.  When I finally remembered and had a free weekend, the salon was booked... oh well.  Something to do in Vegas!  So, I started researching salons in the area and ended up finding one with great reviews.  Off the strip, but a quick 20 minute taxi ride away.  Platinum Entourage. Fancy name.

I headed there yesterday.  The salon had a warehouse/art museum feel to it.  Concrete Floors.  Exposed air ducts.  Art pieces on the walls.  Old dressers and armoires serving as styling tools and supplies stands.  A very unique ambiance.  I met with a stylist, and the owner, celebrity stylist Todd White.  What makes a celebrity stylist?  You got me, but that's what his website says.  He was very knowledgeable and I liked what he suggested.  I wish I had taken a picture yesterday when my hair was still all wavy, but since I'm not really good with my hair, I guess a picture today will have to do.

I may have met a celebrity stylist, but I felt like the celebrity yesterday.  Pain is beauty.  Beauty takes time.  I've heard those expressions.  I lived them yesterday.  The appointment lasted 4 hours.  4 hours!!!!  And my hair was teased and pulled as the old layers of colors were taken out, rather than being dyed on top of the last layers.  Maybe that's the difference with celebrity styling as opposed to the salon in our small towns?  Regardless, as I sat in the salon chair, I wondered, is this what it's like to be on a movie set, getting your hair down?  Or on a TV set, like that of General Hospital, which I've dreamed of at one time or another?  I must be!  At least, I imagined it was.

Interestingly enough, one of the other customers there had her husband tag along with her son, if only for a little while anyways.  Her son started fussing and she asked her husband to take him for a walk, because being at the salon is "an escape" for mothers, and she didn't want to impose on the other women that were getting their hair done.  My feelings on it were as usual, torn.  It was a reminder of Preston, to see this little blond boy, but it was also a reminder of Preston.  Confusing, I know.  I appreciate what this woman did, in requesting that her husband whisk away their son, but all in all, he wasn't bothering me.  Oh what I'd give to have my little one back, even if we were to be fussy all the time.

Moral of the story - It's nice to get pampered once in a while.  Get the fancy treatment, even if it was for a price that I value a little too fancy for my liking.  But you only live once, so why not have a day where you are made to feel like a celebrity?  We all deserve to get our fancy on, every once in the while.  Have yourself a nice day to yourself every now and then, even if life is too busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment