Thursday, November 6, 2014

Blinded

I have to start off by saying, thank you Taylor, for sending me a super sweet message through BBC.  Taylor shared with me the following:
I had to share that on my way to Target today, I passed a magnificent field of sunflowers and immediately thought of Preston. I really had no reason to as I was just going over my grocery list in my head, but the thought of him after seeing those flowers brought a big smile to my face today. I just wanted you to know. Thank you for sharing your precious boy. Sending thoughts of comfort, healing and peace. Have a wonderful day, Taylor ps-I will be spreading some happiness for Preston not only Nov. 19, but as often as I can. 
How powerful it can be when someone reaches out with something so purely thoughtful and kind.  This made my whole day, even if it wasn't a bad day.  This just brought warmth to my heart.  It made me smile.  It made me proud of my son for making an impact on the world with his beautiful smile.  He was such a gift to me, to my family.  And I'm realizing more and more that he was a gift to the world.

I was just on Facebook and I realized I had "Other" messages.  Three moms who had reached out to me in September and October.  I feel blind for not noticing before.  How can that be?  I feel disappointment in myself for not noticing sooner.  But I have reached out now, and I hope that all is well.  What's interesting is that I noticed this on the same day I received email where I was being reached out to.  One lady has a relative who just lost an infant.  Another lost her son, and now has a close friend who has lost her daughter to SIDS.  I hope that I am somehow able to help these families with my writing, with sharing my experience, but also by reaching out myself.  Like Taylor did for me.  Like others who have reached out in the past, others who reach out on a daily basis.  I am reaching out because I know how powerful that can be.  How much of an impact it can make.  I reach out, because I genuinely care.  I care about making this journey a little less painful for others walking down this lonely dark path.

We all know someone who's lost somebody special.  Whether it be a parent, or sibling.  An aunt or uncle, cousin or grandparent.  A child.  A best friend.  Should you be thinking about them, or their loved one, let them know.  It can be such a wonderful exchange.  Share the why you were thinking about them.  Or simply say, "I thought of your mom today" or "I saw a butterfly today, and it made me think of you and your baby".  Or, "I know today is a tough day for you, and I want you to know that I'm thinking about you."

These things are so simple, and can brighten up someone's day.  Someone's tough day.  Or even like me today - someone's day that was not a bad one, but that all of a sudden, became one of the brightest days in a long time.  And I think, that warrants a Preston picture.  Spread that smile by sweet P.  Show the world, what a smile can do.  Or stick your tongue out, that works too.




No comments:

Post a Comment