Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Capture Your Grief 2015 - Memory

I struggled all day to figure out which memory of Preston to share.  Thinking and remembering these memories is bittersweet.  They make me smile, but at the same time, it's painful that they are so few and far between. Or that I can't remember them with the amount of details that I wish I could.

Rather than share one specific memory, I am opting to share that I loved my evenings with Preston.  The evenings were ours.  After an early evening feeding, Preston would be up for a little while.  Wiggling and talking in his bouncer as I ate some dinner.  After that we'd do a variety of things.

Play this little piggy.

Sing songs or listen to music.

Read books.

Walk around the house and look at all the different things hanging on the wall.

He'd get tickled and would giggle.

He'd get big smiles and give them back.

After that, he'd take a short nap, giving me a chance to do the dishes and clean up the house a little.  Then it would be time for him to eat one more time before bedtime.  He'd be up for at least an hour after that but I'd mostly rock him, sing to him (poor little guy - I don't have the best voice for singing), and within half an hour, we'd go to his room, the nursery, and read a book.  Sometimes two, just because I didn't want to put him down just yet.  He'd usually be asleep before the end of them, but I always read them to the end.

I think that's probably what I miss most.  Our evenings.  Even when he wouldn't fall asleep until 11:00 or 11:30 meaning my night was much shorter.  The evenings were our special time.  It's when I got the most smiles and giggles.  It's when I really felt connected with him, and felt like he knew how much I loved him.  Maybe I can't remember the specifics of any one evening in particular, but I will cherish those moments forever.


1 comment:

  1. Sweet memories of Dear Preston, that your Mother and I were so lucky to experience in person, are locked in our hearts forever. Whenever I see a feather (I rarely see bunnies or rainbows), it warms my heart knowing that Preston is sending me a smile and maybe a giggle.

    ReplyDelete