Tuesday, March 31, 2015

There's always a rainbow around the corner


On my way home from work today, the train conductor announced that we were going to have to de-board at the next station due to some mechanical issue.  Usually this type of issue frustrates me.. trains are supposed to be reliable but it happens so often that they aren't.  I didn't feel frustrated today, though I felt bad for hubby who was picking me up from the park-n-ride.  It meant he'd have to sit there and wait.  Unpredictability.  It always shows up sometime doesn't it.

As I stepped off the train, I suddenly realized that I was listening to Iris, by the Goo Goo Dolls.  How had this song been on for about a minute without my even noticing?  Well, no wonder I didn't mind that the train had problems causing me to be late.  This all happened right after I saw a rainbow of sorts on a girl's backpack who was waiting for the train on the opposite side of the platform.  The station we'd just left when the service announcement was made about stepping off the train.  On the backpack was what looked like key-chains.  The generic kind, a small oval plastic piece with a ring.  They didn't make up the colors of a traditional rainbow, but there were several colors, all one on top of the others.

These signs from my son today made it a great one.  Seeing that he sent me a unique rainbow, I think it's the perfect time to share the poem my aunt wrote about Preston.  Whenever I need to be comforted that even though there isn't a real rainbow in the sky for me to look at and think of Preston, rainbows exist everywhere around me.  I just have to be open to seeing them.  This poem always makes me smile, and thankful for living in such a beautiful world.  Thank you aunt Jocelyn. xxx


Preston’s Rainbow
by Jocelyn Cox



You see his face in the morning,
You feel his love every night
You long to touch him again
And to hold him very tight.

You remember his cute smile
The way he could made you laugh
His love of bright colours
And his sweet photographs.

Each day endured without him
Brings tears to your hearts
As you try to understand
Why you were torn apart.
His room stands silently by
 Bear pictures upon the wall
Each cub can tell a story
Of how he was loved by all.

He left you very quickly
He couldn't say goodbye
But in your hearts you hold him
And know he is safe on high.

Each morning the sun rises
Brilliant yellow in the sky,
As purple-blue martins
On the horizon wing by.

 Red roses in the garden grow
Nearby pink tulips bent
While lavender lilac bushes
Waft forth their heavenly scent.

The old marmalade cat
 Head held high in the air
 Quickly passes you by
 He doesn’t have a care.

In every perfect colour
Made to set your hearts aglow
Painted carefully by God
Are reflections of a Rainbow.

Preston’s love of colour
Around you all abounds
No matter where you look
Like rainbows they can be found.

His love is bountiful
He shows it in every hew
Open yourselves to it
And know he is with you.

He will always prove to you
On rainy days and sun alike,
That his love for you is endless
As his rainbow of love shines bright.



1 comment: