Monday, March 23, 2015

Positive distractions



I know what you are thinking.. I'm obsessed with the black & white color pop option from Adobe Photoshop.  You would be correct... I think it makes for really sweet pictures!


I recently saw a picture that listed positive distractions and I thought it would be a healing experience to list things that I would consider to be good diversions.  It would be a good list to read every now and then.  Possibly a valuable listing for others in search of something that isn't destructive when they need a moment of escape.  This is my attempt at it anyway.


  • Make a nice cup of tea.  Add honey and lemon if you like.  I've never been unhappy sipping a cup of hot tea with lemon and honey.
  • Take a nature walk.  This can be a simple walk in a park or a small clearing.  Take in the beauty of the flowers and trees.  If it is wintertime, breathe in the cool air, and admire a fresh patch of snow.  If all else fails, lay in the grass and just take deep breaths.
  • Draw a hot bath.  Add scented oils or crystals and light a few candles.  A most relaxing ritual for me.  And if you need to cry... a hot bath can be a wonderful place to do it.  No one to see you, no one to judge you.
  • Bake cookies.  Everyone loves a good cookie.  It doesn't have to be complicated, get a simple package of Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix and some cookie icing and you are good to go.  Once cookies are baked, eat a cookie!
  • Watch a sporting event - a hockey game or baseball game can be a good distraction for a couple hours.  Invest yourself into cheering for your favorite teams.
  • Watch a talent show like "The Voice" or even "Dancing with The Stars" where everyone is happy.  I always smile when I watch "The Voice" because it's nice to see people attempting to fulfill their dream of making it as a singer.  I always smile because Adam Levine and Blake Shelton's bickering makes me giggle.  I can't decide who I like more!!!!
  • Write.  Let it flow.  Whatever comes out, perhaps you just need to release it, even if it's just a file that remains saved on your desktop for no one to ever read, even yourself.
  • Cuddle.  With your significant other.  With a pet.  With your children.  With your best friend.
  • Dine out with a friend.  Doesn't have to be at a fancy restaurant, a simple homemade meal can be just what you need.
  • Listen to happy, "poppy" songs - Pharell's "Happy", Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA", "I Knew You Were Trouble" by Taylor Swift, or maybe even her most recent "Shake It Off".  These are the songs that came to mind first, but I'm sure you have your favorites!
  • Dance.  Add a layer to listening to those happy songs.  Let loose and dance away in your living room.  Feeling crazy, open the blinds and let the neighbors watch, LOL.
  • Read a good book.  
  • If the time is right, look at pictures of Preston.. especially ones where he is similing.
  • Call up someone you haven't talked to in a while. Just because.
  • Watch the sunrise, or the sunset.
  • Plant a garden.

What makes your list of positive distractions?  Could you see doing something on this list that would help clear your head when you are having a rough go?

No comments:

Post a Comment