Thursday, March 19, 2015

So little time...


So little time... lately it feels like I don't have time to do anything.  I hope that having the house back to normal this weekend will help with that.  It's getting really close - we have furniture in the living room again as of tonight!  Additionally, my cold, which is still with me, has certainly hindered my motivation and energy levels.  Each day, on the train ride home, I start mapping out what I want to write about and it just hasn't worked out for me during this past week, or couple weeks even.  We've been dealing with the renovations, I'm working on planning our baseball fantasy draft party on Saturday, all the while trying to make sure I myself am ready for the actual draft.  Who do I really want on my team?!

The renovations are coming to an end, for now anyway.  The floor is finally finished (good job honey!).  The bathroom/laundry room is as done as it's gonna be for now, despite part of the floor which we'll have to re-do because of a leak (bummer I know!!!).  I use "we" very liberally.  My hubby is the handyman, and I'm pretty much just a cheerleader.  We still have to paint behind the washer and dryer.. but really for now, who can tell???? :)

Living room floor sneak peak

Regarding fantasy baseball, it's the 3rd year that we host a baseball fantasy draft at our house.  Brett is the league commissioner and takes care of all the rules, sending out the league owners (including him and I) information, creating contests and just getting everything set up.  He also recruits new people to join the league, and keeps the current players interested.  I've helped out by recording everyone's picks and supplying food.  This year, I'm a little more hands on and I've created the draft kits, ensured that we'll have a conference line and a screen-sharing option for the league owners that are out of town.  This year's draft party will feature a taco bar, margaritas (thanks to the MargaritaVille machine my in-laws lent us) and baseball shaped cookies & cupcakes! I'm really excited and I hope everything goes smoothly.

I did fairly well the first year we did fantasy baseball.  I finished 3rd.  Last year,  I started out with my heart out of it, and well, I finished last.  You see, I'd foreseen what the 2014 draft was going to be like.  I'd have Preston on my lap and he'd "help" me make my picks.  I'd be sure to win!  Okay, maybe not, but I really had pictured having Preston be part of the festivities.  We held our draft just a week after he passed away.  For those who attended, I hope that you were able to have fun and that it wasn't an awkward evening.  Everything was still so fresh... I remember having a good time that evening.  I had made Rachel Ray's "Pulled Chipotle Chicken and Fixin's" which still makes a regular appearance on my weekly menus.  However, I do remember struggling with picking a team.  I hadn't prepared much, if at all.

Granted, my season didn't only go poorly because draft night wasn't what I'd envisioned.  My team was riddled with injuries from the get go.  I kept refusing to trade.  I just really wanted to see what my players could do, at least the healthy ones, or when they returned from injury.  I also hurt my team by placing Matt Harvey on my DL all year, so that I could keep him (we have a keeper league) for the 2015 season when he would return from Tommy John surgery.  I'd just gotten him in 2013 by trading away one of my best hitters and wanted to be able to get bang for my buck if you will.  So that right there basically meant that I was sacrificing my 2014 season.  I had trouble staying interested all year.  Part of it being due to injuries, part of it being due to the fact that I basically decided I couldn't win, and part of it being because I was still grieving heavily.

As much as I had trouble getting into the league last year, I'm super stoked for this year.  I'm not super well versed in where the best pitcher versus hitter ballparks are.  I know players on the Cubs because of how much of a fan my hubby is.  I know the Rockies because they are so well covered here.  I know the NL West pretty well because of how much they play the Rockies... and then I know the superstars because they are so talked about.  That's kind of where my knowledge ends.  I'm not great with prospects.  I'm not great in knowing who I'm going to pick in the late rounds.  So I'm studying, and that takes time...

Speaking of time.  Time really flies by.  I often find myself in disbelief as to where time has gone.  Today, I celebrate my 8 year anniversary with my husband.  Eight years ago, we sealed our fate by signing paperwork that made us husband and wife for life.  In the eyes of the country, of our families and of God.  It seems like we've been married for ages, yet at the same time, I can't believe it's been 8 years already.

Wishing my wonderful husband a happy anniversary and I hope that our love continues to grow and that we can soon have that family we've always dreamed of having.  I'm so proud to call myself your wife. <3 Love you always.

March 19, 2007 at the Courthouse :)

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your team. And congratulations on your 8 yr anniversary. May the years ahead are filled with much love and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary. You two are a lovely couple - and you know that you are meant to be. You have gone through the worst thing a couple can go through, and you still love each other. Here's to many more years of happiness and love.

    ReplyDelete