Saturday, April 25, 2015

Adventureland



My life feels like it is filled with new adventures recently - changes abound at work, taking up a new hobby, reading a book for the Pursuit of Purpose workshop I've been doing, getting ready to plant seeds in Preston's Garden, and in the small garden in the front of our house once the tulips are done for the season.  It's a time filled with intrigue, passion, excitement and hope.  Intrigue because I don't know what to expect.  Passion because I feel pretty passionate about all these things.  Excitement because that's what adventures are about!  Hope because I'm eager to see what I can do.

Months ago, I mentioned wanting to start a new hobby - embroidery.  As you may have guessed from the picture above, I've been attempting to make it happen.  I've had good motivation with Angel Eyes wanting to create a new quilt for their offices.  This organization has helped me tremendously with it's monthly group meetings, and it feels fitting that Preston should have a place on this special memorial quilt.  I haven't conceptualized the whole thing, but I am writing out his name in rainbow colors.  I'll be sure to take pictures of my progress.  I would like to have a teddy bear somewhere on their, and just found a design online that would work nicely.  A bunny maybe? Some flowers.  And maybe even "SpreadHappinessForPreston.blogspot.com".  It'll depend on how talented I feel and how much time I am able to dedicate to it.  I have 2 more months to get it done, and I just began actually working on it today after practicing for the past couple weeks.

The 5th installment of Rachel's PoP workshop was posted earlier this month.  You can view it here if interested - PoP Session 5.  In this session, we are to use one of the resources Rachel offers - books, a website, a special phone call.  I selected one of the books given that I've been wanting to get back into reading - Make it Happen by Lara Casey.  It's been an interesting read for sure.  This book is filled with workshops of it's own.  I can't say I've been following them, as I've been reading the book on my tablet as I ride the train to and from work.  I've been doing a lot of reflecting though.

Some of the things mentioned in this book are difficult concepts for me to wrap my head around.  There is a lot of talk about God and faith which I still struggle with on a daily basis.  But it's premise makes a lot of sense, and I just started the 3rd chapter which promises to help me find a way to live with purpose and hopefully help me reach more people through my blog.

The weather has been cold lately.  We've even had a snow, and some rain.  It's made it difficult to work on the gardens, but I am getting excited to get them ready for May.  I planted seeds in June last year, so I want to get them planted a little earlier this year.  I have to be careful though given the temperamental Colorado weather system.  The heat waves followed by snow storms.  The numerous May hail storms.  The high winds.  Hopefully, it is nice this week or at the very least, next weekend.

I've even been trying really hard to get better with this fantasy baseball thing.  I'm currently sitting in 5th place out of 12 players.  Bob, who's in 6th isn't far behind, and my brother is ahead of me by less than 50 points!  Gotta get to that 4th place this week.  That's the goal! Watch out bro!

Life is sometimes filled with adventures.  Some are scary, some you don't want to go through.  Some are challenging and exciting, while others are dull and tedious.  But adventures have the potential of bringing intrigue, excitement and hope.  Doesn't that make it worth exploring new adventures?  Are you planning any new adventures?


No comments:

Post a Comment