Saturday, April 11, 2015

Opening Day


Yesterday was Opening Day at Coors Field, as the Colorado Rockies were hosting the Chicago Cubs.  We had not attended an Opening Day before and decided to do so this year.  I worked for a few hours on Friday and hubby met me there and we walked down to Coors Field, a nice 20 minute walk from my office.  There were people everywhere.  Festivities, laughter, cheering.  It was a happy occasion.  We waited for the gates to open for a good 30 minutes, but our waiting in line paid off.  We were one of the first people into the sporting facility!  Both teams were on the field, for batting practice, and other exercises.  We didn't get to go all the way down to the dug outs, but we got pretty close and I got to see (no not meet) one of the newer Cubs, an ex-Rockies played that I've enjoyed watching - Dexter Fowler.  This guy always seems so jovial, loves the fans, and just appears to have a huge heart.

We admired the players crank practice home run after home run.  And then walked around for a bit and finally decided to go get some food and find our seats.  Brett had a Rockies dog and I had a yummy pretzel with cheese sauce.  By now, batting practice was over and the grounds crew was on the field, getting it ready for the days' festivities, and of course, for first pitch!  Such meticulous work.  They really do a good job.  Raking the sand, cutting off any uneven strand of grass.  Mowing the grass in that crisscross fashion.  Watering the sand to make it look just perfect.  In the outfield, a couple people in suits appeared to be measuring out something - I guessed that it was for the flag placement.

The festivities began about 30 minutes before the game.  They introduced the teams, player by player.  They thanked the military as they paraded around the field - the Marine Corps, the Navy, the Air Force, US Army and the Coast Guard.  It was really moving as many of the soldiers who marched around the field, in formation, had just recently returned from assignment.  It really moved me, as these people make so many sacrifices which includes being away from their family.  They risk their lives, not ever seeing their children again.  They paid a wonderful tribute to Mr. Cub, Ernie Banks which I thought was so respectful for the Cubs organization.

And then came in the flag.  The huge flag.  Once fully unfolded, it covered the entire outfield.  It was amazing.  The Air Force Band from Colorado Springs performed the National Anthem and it was simply perfection.  Fireworks, jets flying over (though we missed it since they were right above us and there was concrete above our seats.  Finally, they released balloons - purple, black and white.  I couldn't help but remember Preston's birthday when my friends and co-workers released balloons for is birthday.

I longed to have Preston with us.  He'd have been just about 17 months old and would have enjoyed a lot of the festivities.  Probably not the loud fireworks and jets, but he would have loved the array of bright colors.   The bright reds, blues, greens and purples.  He would have enjoyed seeing the ball fly as high as he could see.  We would have told him all about baseball, and by day's end, he'd just want to play with a ball.

Before the game started, a few prestigious awards were handed out.  Two Gold Gloves, awarded to the best defensive players by position - DJ LeMahieu and Nolan Arenado (on my fantasy team - no big deal) and the Silver Bat, awarded to the batting champion - Justin Morneau.  It felt like we were attending a once in a lifetime type of event.

We had a really good time.  The Cubs did not win, but the Rockies did and we like the Rockies.  It was a bit chillier than anticipated, but still a great afternoon for baseball.  My only frustration, it seemed like a big social event to a lot of people instead of it being about baseball.  A lot of people standing up in front of others as the game went on.  Nonetheless, it was a happy day.  An experience I won't soon forget and that I was thrilled to share with my best friend, my husband.



Batting practice

Grounds crew finalizing the diamond

The Marine Corps (I think) marching on by


Balloons rising up to the sky

Balloons soaring above us

And just for my honey - look at all those zeros... wait and see, I believe in the Cubs <3

Spread Happiness For Preston is now on Facebook! - https://www.facebook.com/SpreadHappinessForPreston

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What great pictures and what a great time you and Brett must have had (and I am sure that Preston was also watching.

    Looks like Brett and Jay are neck and neck in the Fantasy Baseball...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The minute I saw this post, I thought of all the places Tim and I went after the boys died and what it was like to experience something fun on a beautiful day, without our boys. I swear I could almost feel what you were feeling/writing about. Your happy but you know you could be a million times happier, its beautiful out but the day is missing the most beautiful thing, and no one realizes it but you and your husband. I am sure Preston was there with you though - and he has fun right along with you. It took me awhile to realize that I had to live my life FOR my boys, rather than look at it as living without them.

    ReplyDelete