Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Some superheroes have wings

Not all superheroes wear capes.  Superheroes are defined as having inhuman powers, mythical talents or have experienced something supernatural having changed their being.  These heroes use their special abilities to protect the world or to promote justice.  Superman.  Thor. Spiderman. Captain America.  Those names I'm sure are not foreign to many.  You think superhero, and they are some of the first to cross your mind, no?

These do-gooders, who usually live within the general population, have costumes to help them hide their alter-ego.  Many wear masks and capes and spandex to show off their buff bodies, you know, because why not?

Throughout my high school years, I remember watching Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman starring Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher.  It was one of my favorite shows - side note, I now own every season on DVD.  It always amazed me how Clark could keep secret the fact that he was Superman.  I mean really people, put two and two together!  That being said, Superman was always my superhero of choice.

Nowadays, my favorite superhero is quite different.  He does not wear a cape.  He does not have a special superhero name.  If you haven't already guessed where I'm going with this, my favorite superhero is my son, Preston.  My angel with wings.

How can an angel be a superhero you ask? What are his powers?  Preston's super power is to spread happiness.  To make others smile.  To show the people that they are no alone.  To remind us that true happiness is achievable and it's a lot easier than we realize.

Losing my son has been the most painful and trying experience I've ever lived through.  I wish I never had to go down this path, and I wish I could turn around and un-live this nightmare.  Unfortunately, that is not an option life offers us.  It's difficult to find a positive spin on this whole situation.  Really it is.  I try though, and Preston helps me through it.  For me, and for others.  Because time doesn't spot ticking.  The Earth doesn't stop spinning.  Preston's shown me that happiness is achievable in the little things.  That saying that money doesn't buy happiness? It's true.  I could sit and watch Preston smile for hours and my heart was filled with happiness.  He taught me to appreciate all that I have, and all that's around me a lot more.  He showed me the way to be more forgiving.  He taught me that I need to be more patient - with myself and with others.  I learned that I shouldn't judge so easily.  Despite all the darkness in my life, Preston showed me the way to hope again.

Perhaps I'm delusional, but I like to think that Preston has an impact on other lives than my own.  I like to think that someone stumbles upon my blog and a picture of his makes them smile.  Or that one of my posts hits home and helps someone at some point in their grief journey.  Or that someone sees a rainbow, or a bunny and thinks of Preston and smiles.  Or maybe even, someone spreads happiness in Preston's memory.

So you see, some superheroes have wings instead of capes.  Some superheroes you can never see in person, only in images and in your imagination.  But, superheroes do exist.  And on this #NationalSuperheroDay, I honor my son Preston because if there ever was to be a special superhero - he's the perfect one.

Keep spreading happiness my love.  I'll keep doing my part and sharing you with the world to help you make that happen.

Who is your favorite superhero and why?


1 comment:

  1. I ALWAYS think Preston (and you) when I see rainbows! And then just now I saw this article and I totally thought of you two... http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/man-leaves-7000-percent-tip-waitress-middle-school/story?id=30622400. 😄🌈🐇

    ReplyDelete