Friday, June 24, 2016

Oh brother! Where has the time gone?

I've often measured how old I've felt as certain milestones occurred.  However, it was more often the milestones that my brothers hit.  I remember feeling "old" for the first time when my eldest brother turned 21.  I was 14.

Most the the milestones that made me do a double take and wonder how time had gone by so quickly, were events that occurred in my brother Ted's life: when he got married in '99, when he had a baby in '02, when said baby turned 10, and more recently 14.  Today, my dear brother turns 40.... boy, am I really 5 years away from hitting that age myself?

My brother Ted is a wonderful person.  I often longed for a sister as I grew up and watched how close my brothers were.  As the years went on though, I realize that my brother was a wonderful sibling to me, and I really couldn't have asked for more.

He played mediator when us 3 kids couldn't get along. He taught me how to climb trees, and build awesome forts in the snow banks our dad would plow by the sides of the driveways.  He took me sledding, and ice skating and even tried to get me to play with the bigger kids.

He took me to my first Montreal Canadiens game where I absolutely fell in love with the game.  I watched or listened to all the games after that, and kept a binder of news articles from the newspaper. I was all about the Habs after attending that game.  I believe it's the only game I attended at the old Forum, and I'm thankful to have been able to see part of this team's historic past.

Nowadays, my brother is a successful "parks and recs" manager.  He's worked in several Montreal suburbs, getting many promotions as he's moved between them.  He's got an absolutely beautiful family, a wonderful wife and 3 kids.  I finally got that sister I always wanted when he got married! He's a wonderful father.  Very patient and doting.  I'm sure the mediation skills have become quite handy as a parent!

I feel that I learned a lot from Ted, and not just how to climb trees.  I'd like to think I'm a good politically correct mediator and I feel that I've got him to thank for it.  Back when I played World of Warcraft, I moved my way up in the guild rather quickly and became a councilor and often had to voluntarily deal with disagreements between members.  I became quite good at it, and even became co-guild leader.

It's days like today that make it difficult that I live in Colorado and that the rest of my family remains in Montreal.  I miss the birthday gatherings, and the holiday dinners.  I wish I could have attended some of the plays or talent shows the kids have been in.

But all in all, love knows no bounds, and even though I'm 2000ish miles away, I hope my brother knows how much he means to me.  I hope he knows I miss him and his family.  I wish he could see more of his niece, and I'm certain he'll be delighted when he gets to meet her one day.. hopefully in the next 12 months!

Happy birthday dear brother!  40 looks good on you.  I think you'll always be young at heart <3.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Cathy!

    Wow your baby girls is so big and beautiful. I never saw all those beautiful photos.
    40 feels pretty good, looking forward to a great year ahead....

    Thanks for writing your article, it brought back some good memories. I did not remember that I took you to your first habs game, but I guess I could not let you get dupped into becoming a nordiques fan! It's enough to have to deal with one in the family :)

    Not sure when we will see each other but really look forward to seeing you guys and Samantha. ...plus I set up a poker table in my basement, so come over and play a few games, we'll take Jay's $$$, haha, well, I guess we'll try.

    Go blue jays!

    Love Ted

    ReplyDelete